BETA test version GIFT-E / 4-23-07

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Kaz
Occasional Poster

Post by Kaz » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:22 pm

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I cannot format the gift cards.

I set up everything as usual then I go to format the gift cards by hitting F1 while in payment options and it just takes me back to the main config screen.

Barry

payment type

Post by Barry » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:41 am

hi dale,

just a suggestion on the payment types setup page.

When you are entering the Yes/no for the payment type it does not give you the ability to add the name of the payment type description. how do i get to edit that payment type name?

Also, if i might add, with the addition of an custom payment type, i would use it to track the rounding 'payment' to the nearest 5 cents.

Ok, is it possible to use a {negative} amount for this payment type for rounding up: 98cents or 99cents to $1.00. Or can it have the ability to 'use' the payment to record the amount to the nearest 5 cent when I press F8 as I do normally.

Regards,

Barry h.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Re: payment type

Post by Andrew » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:32 am

Barry wrote:When you are entering the Yes/no for the payment type it does not give you the ability to add the name of the payment type description. how do i get to edit that payment type name?
Barry - long time no see.

You can edit the custom payment item, while in the "Payment Options" screen, keep pressing enter (or use the down arrow) to move past all the yes/no fields and after the last one (allow cash back on debit cards) you'll see the custom name box highlighted in teal-green. Type away to set your custom payment name, hit ESC to finish.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

plop1234

Post by plop1234 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:29 pm

I think it's cool. Nice job!!! :lol:

plop1234

Post by plop1234 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:35 pm

Hay, I'm willing to test POS hardware for any one that needs it!!!!!!! E-mail me at mjauthen@aol.com
:D

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:36 pm

Kaz,

Well boogers. I messed up compiling that file.

However I should have version GIFT5 up tonight so wait for that.

dale

FormicaFun
Forum Regular

Gift Cards? Optional Payments? NO WAY!

Post by FormicaFun » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:38 pm

Hey Dale!

Long time, no chat. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

I can't belive that you've got a gift card feature, and another payment option on there. I've been folowing the forum when I could, but haven't really had time to get up with the newer versions of POS for a while.

I did download GIFT4, and good news. DHPOS is compatable with WindowsVista (I got a new laptop, I didn't exactly get Vista willingly... but I'm learning to deal with it. It sure is pretty.).... anywho, I did notice a few things. I too cannot access the format gift cards [F1], nor can I access gift card anything [F10] from POS.

Also, with the new payment option... it's great and all, but I'm not seeing totals showing up on the closing report.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:41 pm

Barry,

You cannot have a negative amount in any payment method.

When you round to the nearest 5¢ or 10¢ it will have no effect on the userdefined payment method.

I see you are still chasing those pennies. How come no other user from Australia is havning a problem with this?

Dale

Barry

Post by Barry » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:13 am

[quote]I see you are still chasing those pennies. How come no other user from Australia is havning a problem with this?
[/quote]

Not a problem per se, except I dislike the fact that rounding goes on the first item in the sale.

Reviewing the tax regulations on the tax website, rounding must take place after all tax is calculated and cannot form part of the cost of the item so rounding cannot be included in the price of the first item, hence my reason to use the blank payment to be used for rounding.

All i want to know is how much rounding is occuring in the store.
Say, from 500 daily sales rounding could be +/- $10.00 (500 x 2 cents).
Over a year that could be $3,650. Now, that's a lot of money for any type of business but for the small and medium sized business it would be.

TAXATION
------------

On another thing, the penny rounding isn't 110% correct (excuse the pun!) for the GST tax. I wouldn't want the tax office to come knocking on the door.

I think of it this way. If the total is $989.54 inclusive with 10% GST then we divide by 11 to get the GST. ----> $89.9581... this is the maximum price we can sell at. Since we do not use fractions of a penny, the price needs to come down to $89.95. Even though I have set my rounding to .99 of a cent it still says $89.96.

I know, that it's only a few cents but the effect of GST rounding but the net effect would round some prices up.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

More people

Post by daleadmin » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:12 pm

Barry,

All this may be true but it is still only a enough of a problem for one person to complain.

Unfortunatly the total number people writing code for this software is still just me. So to devote time to this problem would mean that I would have to stop work on getting gift cards to work and there are lots and lots of folks out there who would say that getting gift cards to function is way more important then the penny chase.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:20 pm

OK, I have the problem fixed with being able to get to the part of the program to format the gift cards.

And as a bonus it now prints receipts.

It still does not save the transaction to the file. So there is still a lot of work to do but at least you can see that progress is being made.

Find the download link in one of the last posts in this thread.
Last edited by daleadmin on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Jordan Morley
Occasional Poster

Post by Jordan Morley » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:28 pm

dont know where this went but dale when i hit f10 nothing happens. Its the button for sell gift cards. Help?

Jordan Morley

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:44 pm

As far as I was aware, you can't currently sell gift cards - it's still under design. At least I'm sure Dale mentioned this previously.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Jordan Morley
Occasional Poster

Post by Jordan Morley » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:17 pm

[quote="Andrew"]As far as I was aware, you can't currently sell gift cards - it's still under design. At least I'm sure Dale mentioned this previously.[/quote]

oh ok.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:56 pm

Jorden,

Assuming that you are testing version GIFT5 you have to first go to the "Payment methods" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program and set up the selling of gift cards.

Always remember to tell us what version you are working with.

Dale