Support for scale for weighing produce or similar items

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Smit
Support for scale for weighing produce or similar items

Post by Smit » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:21 pm

Hi Dale,

We just bought a super-minimart type store where produce is one of the many items we sell. I was looking into revamping the current POS sytem. Is the scale suppoprted on the beta version of POS system. Is yes, do you know of which brand/model has been tested with it?

- Smit

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Scales

Post by Dale Harris » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:08 pm

POS does not work with scales. There are two problems.

1. Scales are connected to your computer through the serial port. Windows versions after Win '98 will not let DOS software, like POS, access the serial port and even with Windoes versions 3.1 to '98 serial access is a sometimes thing.

2. To add code to the POS program for a scale I would have to have a scale to try it out on, and I don't. And since POS is free there is no money coming in to go get one. See, "free" has its downsides too.
Dale

Smit

Post by Smit » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:22 pm

If I have the scale, Is it possible to manually enter the weight? Pardon my ignorance...

- Smit

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm

Smit - you would enter the weight as a quantity during a sale. So the price in your stock table would be per unit (kg, gram whatever you use).
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)