Simply Control it

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dylan
Forum Regular
Simply Control it

Post by Dylan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:12 pm

I have been working on an application to control POS on the main computer (the one holding the stock table). My program permits the manager(s) to control nearly every aspect of POS from a single, central GUI - instead of navigating various folders to open apps. It also can backup DHPOS to a folder and, if needbe, a thumbdrive. This application is known by some of you as IDS (integrated dhpos server). IDS is now available free to all. Just email me to get your hands on a copy and if anyone wants to post it on their server, let me know and ill get you a copy. thanks guys, for helping this through development and picking out problems. I hope this will be a useful addition to the DHPOS world!
Tech

Dylan
Forum Regular

IDS Training

Post by Dylan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:22 pm

IDS now has a training program.
This is to familiarize the GSM's with how to use IDS.
IDS training is included with version 2.3, distributed to about 10 people this past week. It will also accompany the 2.3 release to anyone who requests it in the coming days.

One thing that the IDS training doesn't cover is actually implementing IDS. Because it is such a short process, I'm not going to revise the training until the next major release. But... To implement IDS on your "controlling computer" (the one with the stock table), Unpack IDS into the C:\POS directory with the rest of your DHPOS files. If your DHPOS files aren't in C:\POS, you will need to create the correct directory and move your register files there. If anyone has any questions, please email me at techrobinson@gmail.com
Tech

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Forcing users into using a particular directory is a bit of a no-no. Some may use different drives other than C, or want the program in a particular folder for whatever reason.

Back in the day, I wrote a DOS based basic Payroll application - at first it required particular folders for DHPOS, but I soon learnt that just wouldn't do - and found it quite easy to alter the code and support whatever folder/drives the user wanted to use.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)