New POS version 6.39m released on 3-21-07

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:04 pm

You can now optionally print invoices when the receiving file is loaded into the stock table.

In a sale when you are asked for the "Quantity", you can now press [F12] to enter the line money total and the program will figure out how many pieces are needed to come up with that line total.

In a sale when you press "[F5] Void" and then press [ESC] you will be returned to the sale instead of erasing the sale. Fixed in version 6.39m

Very rarely the program would die with a "Out of stack space" error. This version will make it even more rare. Reported by Tri. Fixed in version 6.39m

Download the new version here...

<center> http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm </center>

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:00 pm

It is so great to see all the efforts going into developing and improving this program that I would almost always sit up and applaud, even if it is not a feature that I would use.

Now here is something that could be of much use in my shop that I can unfortunately not use at the moment.

May I suggest that the F12 Quantity feature be somewhat modified to calculate the total full number of items that can be bought with a certain amount of money.

I find it somewhat difficult to sell 3.456 tins of soda or 4.567 keyrings.
The feature is however perfect for selling anything by weight.

Maybe pressing F12 again(or any other available key) could round the quantity off to the last full/round number of items.

POS Greetings!!

ToPS

Dukane
Forum Regular

Post by Dukane » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:54 am

You can't round it in your head?

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:44 pm

Dukane,

Yes, it is easy to void the item & just ring up the round number of items, but you see, my shop is quite busy and it seems like a waste of time if the program can do it.

You must also keep in mind that a person who will do a cashiers job at a cashiers salary may not always have the ability to calculate faster than a computer.

Be honest and see how many people can come up with the correct answer(often under pressure) and without using a calculator to the following within 10 seconds.

How many items @ 7.39 for a 100 bill ?

ToPS

Dukane
Forum Regular

Post by Dukane » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:09 pm

Ah ok, I misunderstood your original problem.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Calculator

Post by daleadmin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:33 pm

Ah, but it you press [F2] from the POS program you do have a calculator.

Dale

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Dale,

Yes, another very usefull feature of your program which I use often enough.

But... now I am slightly confused.
Why add the F12 option if we could use the calculator from the beginning and for that matter, why does the program multiply the number of items with the unit price if we have a calculator and why can't we not use the calculator to add up the sale?

Just wondering

ToPS

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Calculator

Post by daleadmin » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:38 pm

ToPS,

You can use the calculator to add up the sale. Be my guest, go right ahead if that is easier for you than just pressing [+].

The [F12] feature is the way it is because you will often end up with an answer like 23.968 (6 digits counting the decimal point) and that is harder to remember (and type in) than a common answer to your request, like 23, which is easy to remember and simple to punch in.

If I made it an option between the two methods then there would be even more buttons to press and mode code to fill up an already scarce resource.

Dale

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Dale,

Would it be possible to have the curser/active field stay on the quantity field and display the calculated quantity after pressing F12 ?
Then if enter is pressed the total unrounded figure could be used or alternatively backspace or delete could be used to change the quantity.

This would be a little bit faster than having to void a line in the sale and starting the item sale from the beginning.

Just an idea...

Regards

ToPS