Networking Help

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

dr-fish
Occasional Poster
Networking Help

Post by dr-fish » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:48 pm

I am thinking of networking two laptops (both with Windows XP) using the cash register software with an LAN cable, but how would I go about doing this - from the beginning :roll: ?

I am assuming you don't just plug in the cable and i'm done. If only things where that simple :D
Dr Fiiiiiiish

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Networking.

Post by daleadmin » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:05 pm

Actually setting up a network is beyond my expertise but once you do get it set up read this http://keyhut.com/postip3.htm#network

Dale

dr-fish
Occasional Poster

Post by dr-fish » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:18 pm

Thanks.
Dr Fiiiiiiish

anwoke8204
Forum Regular

Post by anwoke8204 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:10 pm

could you be more specific, are you using a hub or a cross over cable, also if you are using a hub is it going to be a router with DHCP enabled on it or are you doing static ip addresses(manally assigned ip addresses) once I have these I should be able to help you, many thanks
Andrew Stevens
Rooksystems/Clearwater Inc.

dr-fish
Occasional Poster

Post by dr-fish » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:19 pm

Just an ethernet cross over cable at the moment.
Dr Fiiiiiiish

anwoke8204
Forum Regular

Post by anwoke8204 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:45 pm

ok sorry I haven't been around, I have been busy with work
first set static ip addresses for both computers and set the subnet mask as well. then install dhpos twice on one of the computers and only once on the other, and then on the computer that it is shared twice set one of them us as the global and then share it. then set the global path(the full path on the computer with the global directory ie.. c:\posserv or something like that) in the address box under networking for the computer that has 2 copys of pos on it, and then for the other one just create a mapped network drive to the global folder on the other computer and set the drive letter up for the directory under the networking for that one, if you need any help please ask I will be more then willing to help as I can
Andrew Stevens

dr-fish
Occasional Poster

Post by dr-fish » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:38 am

Thanks for the help.

Actually it's the inital network setup that I am having problems with.
Dr Fiiiiiiish

anwoke8204
Forum Regular

Post by anwoke8204 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:40 pm

ok, what have you done so far so I know where to go from there?
Andrew Stevens

dr-fish
Occasional Poster

Post by dr-fish » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:38 am

Absolutly nothing. that's why I need help. All I have are two laptops and a crss over cable.
Dr Fiiiiiiish

anwoke8204
Forum Regular

Post by anwoke8204 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:01 am

ok, do you know how to configure the static ip addresses and the subnet masks. PM me and I will assist with setting those up, I don't want to post ip addresses on the forum for security reasons. also what version of windows are you using. that information would help if you could include what version, so I will know what way we need to take to get to the network properties.
Andrew Stevens

dr-fish
Occasional Poster

Post by dr-fish » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Will send PM.
Dr Fiiiiiiish

IAN
Forum Regular

Post by IAN » Tue May 15, 2007 9:18 pm

dont forget to log on to the pc's using the same username and password otherwise networking password would come up or wont connect as you not logged in to the other pc's sharing.

also another idea would probly to map a drive letter to the network path of the global folder
IAN

(Everything i say is a lie! so am i telling you the truth?)