dhpos and linux

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

anwoke8204
Forum Regular
Re: dhpos and linux

Post by anwoke8204 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:27 pm

there used to be a step by step guide on how to install on linux using doxbox (I am running a server, so X is not installed), anyone know what happened to the step by step guide?
Andrew Stevens
Rooksystems/Clearwater Inc.

marine64
Forum Regular

Post by marine64 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:17 pm

can you please tell me your setup so I can assist you further.
http://www.xenocomp.com for all your tech needs.

anwoke8204
Forum Regular

Post by anwoke8204 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:06 pm

I am running Fedora Core 9 on a Dual Core AMD Athalon 3800 with 2 gigs ram, I just installed dos box in linux, it is a fresh install, it also has apache, mysql, samba, bind dns, and email server on it
Andrew Stevens

marine64
Forum Regular

Post by marine64 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:54 pm

Ok, Let me make sure I have the facts right. Fedora Core, No X, and you would like to install dosbox and run DHPOS on it. Do I have it right? Would you like to network this with other clients? or would you like it to serve the client files to the clients?

anwoke8204
Forum Regular

Post by anwoke8204 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:10 pm

right, I have no X otherwise I would probably use wine, yes I need it with networking support so I can have the global on the server and then client on the dekstops
Andrew Stevens

marine64
Forum Regular

Post by marine64 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:39 pm

In order to run dosbox you have to have X installed so it can display it. Here is an idea that may help you. Install samba and restrict it to just your subnet(see below)

Code: Select all

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the smb.conf man page
 hosts allow = 192.168. 10.10.10.  #replace this area with your subnet
then run the global on a "management" computer. This may be a office computer or a backoffice computer. Then setup a skel of the client files and put them in the /etc/skel directory. add users and share out the home directory for that user. This is if you want the client files on the server if not just create a pos user and put the files in their home directory. If you have a fairly beafy machine you could also look into LTSP(Linux Terminal Server Project) this allows you to boot the clients from the network and give the client a fresh start every time. I will be releasing a Linux client image based on ubuntu that will address most of these problems. I am bug testing it now and will release it once it is in beta stage for public testing.

anwoke8204
Forum Regular

Post by anwoke8204 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:29 am

ok, I have X installed, but my onboard video card (Via Chrome 9) won't support X, when I try to run the x config tool my system always hangs. I had to use the text installation as the GUI installation wouldn't work either. will doxbox still work so I can run it from the system, and then create the global files on it, I would also like to be able to ssh in and start a dhpos session, I have done it before, but if you read earlier I had permission issues.
Andrew Stevens

marine64
Forum Regular

Post by marine64 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:48 am

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?Pa ... bCatID=182 try this site for the video drivers. as for the permission issues did you chmod -R 777 the files? I have forgot to do that sometimes and it gave me a similar issue. could you please tell me how you see the end result once this is figured out? This will help me assist you in steering you in the right direction.

Dukane
Forum Regular

Post by Dukane » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:48 pm

I just wanted to report that I am having great success with running DHPOS using the dosemu package on Ubuntu 9.04