How not to spool 100,000+ pages on your printer using DHPOS

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
How not to spool 100,000+ pages on your printer using DHPOS

Post by daleadmin » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:07 pm

For those of you using APRINT2.EXE to send the print stream to USB or serial printers you may have noticed that occasionally APRINT2 will send hundreds of thousands of pages to your print queue. This is not an optimal use of your printer's time.

I called Jon and he dropped everything to come up with a fix and here it is http://www.dhpos.com/aprint3.exe

If you download it and give it a try it will not overwrite APRINT2.EXE already in your folder. You can choose which one you want to use at any time.

How about trying this out and reporting back. I tried it here with a couple of files that would cause APRINT2 to spool and APRINT3 worked like a champ.

Dale

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:38 am

8)

Will have to try that out. I'm just doing a 2 register system one of which prints to a page printer in 80 cols. I've found that it prints OK either directly via LPT1 or using Aprint2 but either way there's a long delay before it starts to print.

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Re:Aprint3

Post by ibmsystems » Wed May 30, 2007 1:14 pm

Tried it out for a day on one of my terminals and staff reported that it worked great. Jon seems to have removed the 2-3 Second lag between finishing the transaction and getting the receipt to print.

jake69
Forum Regular

aprint3

Post by jake69 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:54 am

Hi,

I used APRINT3 for 2 month now and had no problems. I experienced the spool prob with AP2 and had to use a trick to print in that case, the version 3 solved it. Thanks a lot!

Only issue I have is that if my PC is very busy (old model) there is a view times the APRINT response "zero file size delete" and then I get no print at all. This usually happens at closing. I suppose because I am closing all other open things at that time - costs a lot of CPU time. If I take it slowly there is no prob. So nevermind, I just wanted to report on it, it is not a pressing issue.

Thanks a lot for the great work you are doing.

Jake

my shop: http://www.stilgewohnt.at