Receipt Printing in Pure DOS

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

gabriel
Forum Regular
Receipt Printing in Pure DOS

Post by gabriel » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:00 pm

Hi Dale,

If I want to run DHPOS in a pure DOS mode, do I need to install any DOS driver for my EPSON TM-U220D receipt printer?

Anyone here using DHPOS in pure DOS mode?

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

DOS printing on a receipt printer.

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:05 pm

Most receipt printer do not require printer drivers when used from DOS.

However if Windows is running on the computer it will intercept the data stream to the printer and funnel it through the default Windows printer driver. This is why you have to install the "Generic (Text only)" Windows printer driver when using a receipt printer on any computer that has Windows running to print on a receipt printer from POS.
Dale

gabriel
Forum Regular

Re: DOS printing on a receipt printer.

Post by gabriel » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:15 pm

Dale Harris wrote:However if Windows is running on the computer it will intercept the data stream to the printer and funnel it through the default Windows printer driver. This is why you have to install the "Generic (Text only)" Windows printer driver when using a receipt printer on any computer that has Windows running to print on a receipt printer from POS.
What is mean by "Generic (Text only)" Windows printer driver? Is this meaning I should install a General Printer driver instead of EPSON TM-U220D windows driver?

Thanks for your help.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Printer drivers

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:29 pm

gabriel,

If you have the proper printer drivers for your printer then by all means use them.

As far as I know the "Generic (Text only)" Windows printer driver basically tells Windows to not modify the data stream that is being sent to the printer. However without any printer driver Windows will probably not send anything to the printer.
Dale