Bug Found - Find item by Vendor Stock # doesn't work

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

brucef2112
Forum Regular
Bug Found - Find item by Vendor Stock # doesn't work

Post by brucef2112 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:39 pm

Something is not right when doing an item lookup by "Vendor Stock Number". I have my "Vendor List" configured to allow lookups by all 13,000 rows in the inventory table.

From the Purchase screen, pressing the * key to switch the register from asking you for a "stock number" to type in a "vendor stock number" it switches fine and at the bottom of the screen the menu changes to [F]1=View table [Esc]=Cancel.

From this point nothing functions correctly and as an added bonus you are thrown into "lookup purgatory", Any attempt to lookup a vendor # or select an item from the table or canceling with [3] does nothing except flip between the lookup screens or scrolling through the table and not being able to pick any item in the table. And if you get back to the first screen where it says [Esc]=Cancel the program seems to ignore this and continues to do more searching of the inventory table. The only way out is by killing the DOS window.

On my test machine at home, its consistent for all versions 639 to 640x and its also consistent on my system at the store with 639q.

Have a look see...
Thanks,
Bruce
Last edited by brucef2112 on Tue May 15, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaz
Occasional Poster

Post by Kaz » Mon May 14, 2007 11:03 pm

Did you remember to set the number of lines that are searchable in the vendor list?

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Tue May 15, 2007 12:48 am

brucef2112 wrote:... I have my "Vendor List" configured to allow lookups by all 13,000 rows in the inventory table.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Tue May 15, 2007 3:49 pm

Brucef2112,

Try clearing the vendor name from the lookup field before pressing escape to exit.

You have to set the system to search by vendor number on the Global PC and exit the program completely before it will work correctly.

Hope this works for you.

ToPS

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:35 pm

Try clearing the vendor name from the lookup field before pressing escape to exit.
The vendor NAME has nothing to do with this. At the purchase screen I am switching to lookup by vendor STOCK NUMBER by hitting the * key. Once there, there is no way to select an item or get back to lookup by STOCK NUMBER.

You have to set the system to search by vendor number on the Global PC and exit the program completely before it will work correctly.

I am using a single computer and yes, I have my "Vendor List" configured to allow lookups by all 13,000 rows in the inventory table.

thanks,
bruce

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Thu May 17, 2007 4:46 pm

Brucef2112,

Sorry, I meant to say vendor number.

On my system if I type in a vendor number and try to escape it will not exit until I have cleared(backspace or delete) the field of all characters that I typed.

Once the field is cleared escape works and you should be able to return to the normal sale screen.

Hope it works for you as I use this feature very often.

ToPS

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:32 pm

Well, I tried that and it didn't work.
Even while I'm in there searching it won't let me choose option 1)Correct Item. The choice to continue search just keeps cycling around. And the Vendor stock# i enter never makes a match. And of course there is no way out once I'm in the vendor lookup screen.

What version are you using? Is there anything else to configure other than the # of records to search?

Later,
Bruce
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Sat May 19, 2007 7:44 am

At this stage I am using 6.39n1 with slightly modified POS.exe.

It works very well without any major problems although the option to seach by Vendor # sometimes disappears and I have to go to Posconfig to configure it again.

I am not aware of anything else apart from the # of lines to search that can have an effect on this feature and there is nothing else that can be configured.

I think the only person that could be able to assist would be Dale.

Greetings

ToPS

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun May 20, 2007 1:20 pm

brucef2112,

I tried out the PP.POS file that you set to me and the feature worked just fine. The only remaining possibility is that there is a error in your PP.TBL file so I am waiting for you to send that to me as an attachment to an email.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sun May 20, 2007 6:29 pm

Thanks a bunch for your time, Dale!
My tbl file is about 1.4MB. I'll zip it with winzip (about 88k compressed) and email it to you....

Bruce

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun May 20, 2007 9:13 pm

brucef2112,

I tried it here with your PP.TBL file and again, no problem.

Come to chat (at the usual time) and we can both run the same data at the same time.

Dale