setting up several registers???

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

fj45lvr
Occasional Poster
setting up several registers???

Post by fj45lvr » Tue May 22, 2007 12:59 pm

I am going to set-up 4 groups of registers (at seperate geographic locations).....each group will be networked (but the 4 groups will be seperate).

I want to have each group start with the same stock list .....I have edited the stock list through posconfig .....to get this same list out to the 4 groups all I need to do is add the registername.pos file to each global folder of each of the 4 different groups and delete the current one in that folder???

the Stock table that you edit is contained in registername.pos??? and only the one global file needs this on the networked computers, right??

thanks for help as I get kind of confused.....I tried to find from the information provided what the filename would be for the stock table.....at first I thought it was the registername.tbl but when I dropped that in it did not change my stock table to the altered (correct) table.....when I brought in the registername.pos file the stock table then changed to the correct information. So the stock table is contained in the _____.pos file, correct??

thanks

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue May 22, 2007 1:49 pm

fj45lvr,

The stock table is actually contained in two files, registername.tbl, and registername.idx.

The registername.pos file contains the settings for your register that are entered through the POSCONFG.EXE program and the current sales and tax totals, plus a couple of other things.

The only settings that are shared between the registername.tbl, registername.idx files and the registername.pos file is number of lines in the stock table. So if you replace .TBL & .IDX files with 5000 lines in it with .TBL & .IDX files with 9000 lines you will have to go to the "Stock table" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program and change the number of lines.

To change the stock table on networked registers you have to change the registername.tbl, and registername.idx files in the GLOBAL folder on the server computer.

Dale

fj45lvr
Occasional Poster

Post by fj45lvr » Tue May 22, 2007 3:38 pm

Thanks for your assistance:

I want to fully comprehend this.....when a person runs the posconfig.exe program and goes into the stock table to modify the stock information (this is changing the settings in posconfig) when you exit the posconfig.exe program it then saves this new modified "stock table" information in the appropriate registername.tbl &.idx files then??

so if I edited the stock table to the correct information in one register (prices, inventory, etc.) should I import the new registername.pos, registername.tbl and registername.idx files to the global folder on the server computer to avoid there potentially being a difference in the number of lines involved? (I used the same name for the register on all four groups)

thanks

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue May 22, 2007 5:26 pm

fj45lvr,

If you have properly set up each register to use the network (meaning that you have set the PATH on each register to the GLOBAL folder on the server) then you can edit the stock table from any register and the changes will be made on the .TBL and .IDX files in the GLOBAL folder of the server.

Dale

fj45lvr
Occasional Poster

Post by fj45lvr » Wed May 23, 2007 4:30 am

Ok....that is great. However the reason I was asking is that I have 4 seperate groups of registers at 4 locations so my question was around getting my edited stock table to the other 3 groups from the one that I have edited.......maybe I can just copy the global folder onto a flash drive and then replace the global file with the one from the computer that I edited the stock table.....I'll try that.

thanks for help.

JB