Delay after scanning before item shows up on the screen

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

rmiller
Delay after scanning before item shows up on the screen

Post by rmiller » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:18 pm

When scanning an item in, the bar code will fill in at normal speed, but there is a one or two second delay before it registers on the POS screen.
The "beep" also seems long and dwawn out. This only happens on one computer. The other computer that I have running the program doesn't do this. Windows 2000 system. Any help would be appreciated.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:41 pm

When an item is scanned the program uses the SOUND command to make a beep so that you know the item was successfully scanned. Unfortunatly some combination of Windows on some computers make the beep last way longer than it is supposed to.

So I hate it when people do this to me but I have to tell you that it is a Windows or computer problem and I cannot fix it from DOS.

Sorry,
Dale

CBL

Post by CBL » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:13 pm

Two things to try:
1. Don't run POS full screen.
2. Go into Control Panel then Sounds and assign a sound to "Default Beep" (assunimg you have a sound card).

rmiller

Post by rmiller » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:43 pm

Not running full screen certainly works but I can't expand the window enough to make it usable. How do you assign a default beep?

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:37 pm

Here is some info on getting a larger window. http://keyhut.com/faq.htm#screen

I do not know of any way to change the SOUND command into the Windows beep.

Dale

CBL

Post by CBL » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:27 am

From my experience, Windows will take over the DOS beep and substitute the Default Beep sound. I'm not sure if this still happens in full screen. But anyhow, if you go into Control Panel (from the Start menu), then Sounds and Audio Devices, then click the Sounds tab. Choose Default Beep from the first list, then a sound from the drop-down box.

If the POS window is not big enough, you can also try changing the font size for your POS window. With it running, right-click the title bar, then click Properties. From there, you can select different font sizes from a list. Experiment to see which one suits you.

BTW, these instructions assume you are using Windows XP. If you are using a different version, let me know.

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Legacy_Beep

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:38 pm

YMMV but try this....
The correct registry key for disable the beep on workstation.
BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE JACKING AROUND WITH IT! PLEASE..

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Beep]
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Group"="Base"
"Start"=dword:00000004
"Tag"=dword:00000002
"Type"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Beep\Enum]
"0"="Root\\LEGACY_BEEP\\0000"
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

After updateing or adding the keys, make sure to restart the computer!!!
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

BEEP vs SOUND

Post by daleadmin » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:19 pm

Are we confusing the BEEP command with the SOUND command?

The noise made when you scan an item uses the SOUND command, not the BEEP. So messing with the Windows BEEP will do diddly if you are having problems when DHPOS makes noise when scanning an item.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:21 pm

Code: Select all

rmiller says...The "beep" also seems long and dwawn out. This only happens on one computer. 
I had the same issue on 1 computer. The long and drawn sound seem to me that pos (using the sound statement) was followed by Windows maybe inturpeting something and thinking it needs to make noise too.

In my case the long drawn out 'noise' (about 2 sec) is multi-toned.

I used regedit to disable the legacy_beep and it fixed the problem.
Your Milage May Vary...

bruce