Journal

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

GAWG
Forum Regular
Journal

Post by GAWG » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:07 pm

Hi

I did a search and didn't see anything so here it is:

As it stands, the journal writes itself into the main directory of where the .exe is. I have not found an option to change where the daily journals are saved.
If I have not overlooked it, is it possible to integrate this feature of setting the directory for journal files into the CONFIGPOS in the next release?
[This would be beside the daily file that overwrites which can be set to a drive letter.]

Also, what can I use to view the journal file?
Is there a way to disable printing the opening journal? ( I have it set so as not to print the closing journal)

Thanks!

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:00 am

OK - The journal is basically a copy of all receipts/transactions rung up that day. It is an exact copy (basically) of what would come out of your printer during the day.
As it stands, the journal writes itself into the main directory of where the .exe is. I have not found an option to change where the daily journals are saved.
The journals are unique to each register so are saved on each register.

"Daily Journals" don't exist, there is only one journal at a time. See the "Journal" option in POSCONFIG to alter Journal behaviour.
Also, what can I use to view the journal file?
You can open it in any text editor, it is a plain text file.
Is there a way to disable printing the opening journal?
That's not a journal printing at open, it's the opening receipt. No you can't turn it off unless you turn off/unplug or otherwise disable your printer.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

GAWG
Forum Regular

Post by GAWG » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:57 am

The journals are unique to each register so are saved on each register.

As I understand it, the journal is saved for each day inside the main directory of POS with the file extension *.Dxx where xx stands for the month and date code during a 1 year period.

Would it be possible to have it saved to DHPOS\Journal so as not to create 365 more files in the parent directory? Another method would be if it was kept in DHPOS\Journal\Y\xxx.Dxx where Y being the number corresponding to the current month (1-12) referenced by the computers calendar.

Feedback appreciated...

Thanks for the info!