New "kitchen" feature

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Nick
Forum Regular

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:35 pm

Great Work as always, a couple bugs but thats to be expected.
I just gave it the five minute once over the only things I noticed was that there seemes to be somthing causing the lines to get unselected when I would tender a new sale at the register. The only other thing I can think of is just a sugustion thats probably already in the works, but it would be nice to be able to either brake up the quantity where there is more than one item or be able to show one served one remaining. Sorry if this dosnt make sence, hopfully it does but Its been a long day.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:20 am

Nick,

What lines get unselected where? It is late at night here and the brain is not functioning that well.

There are no plans for splitting lines if you sell more than one of them. I guess you will just have to sling all three burgers into the bag before you dim the line. :)

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:38 am

Nick,

OK, I thing I got the "unselected" thingie fixed. Try out 6.40b BETA3 below.

Here is the download link...
<center> Link in later post </center>
Last edited by daleadmin on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:40 pm

I cleaned up a few more things, pressing [END] when you had paged down past the last item in the receipt and I changed the scroll bars a little.

Here is the latest download link...
<center> Link in later post </center>
Last edited by daleadmin on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheVillain
Forum Regular

Post by TheVillain » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:48 pm

would it be possible to add a feature to the kitchen viewer where you could choose whether an item gets sent to the kitchen or not? Like in a restaraunt you dont need soft drinks to get sent to the kitchen, and other certain items, or if there was a bar you wouldn't need the orders from the bar to get sent to the kitchen, as the bartender would make the drinks right there.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:38 pm

TheVillain,

What I would have to do is either change the stock table to let the user mark which stock items would go to the kitchen program or some way to have the kitchen program only use items from particular merchandise categories. For example only items in categories 7 - 15 would go to the kitchen program.

I will have to think on this. Are there any opinions out there?

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:42 pm

BTW, I am STILL WAITING FOR TEST RESULTS ON THIS THING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is anyone out there testing this?

Dale

TheVillain
Forum Regular

Post by TheVillain » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:14 pm

I've been testing and, and havent found anything wrong yet. The only problem ive been having, is a few times ive accidentaly hit delete an extra time, and had no way to see the order i had just deleted. Could there be a way you could recall orders in case this happens?

psung
Occasional Poster

Post by psung » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:06 pm

I am trying setup with one computer and two printers, so I need to create a Global folder as well as a Local folder of the POS like you mentioned in the Kitchen features.

So both POS.exe and Kitchen.exe run in Local folder but pointing to Global folder is how you describe the setup? Sorry, a bit confused.

Also, If the POS.exe uses LPT port for receipt and cash drawer, could Kitchen.exe be using the USB printer via APRINT3?

TheVillain
Forum Regular

Post by TheVillain » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:54 pm

In order to network registers, on one computer you need one global file setup (you can have a local register on this one too). I would reccomend putting the global in a network drive, and then for the path, just put the location of the global folder. If you're using only one computer in may be possible not to go thru all the networking crap, and just running kitchen straight from the POS folder, but then you need a really long printer cable to go from the computer to the ktichen!

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:20 pm

psung,

Both the POS program and the KITCHEN program have to have their PATH set to the GLOBAL folder. The KITCHEN program can be run from any folder on any computer on the network.

The only restriction on setting the KITCHEN printer is that you cannot use the same printer port the POS program is using from the same computer.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:42 pm

TheVillain,

Unfortunalely you have to use the network crap when you use the KITCHEN feature.

Old computers / operating systems would not allow file to be opened as SHAREable without special network software. So to keep the program compatible with those computers the files are not SHAREable.

However if you enter a PATH into the "network" feature then all of the files that need to be shared are opened as SHAREable files.

Dale

psung
Occasional Poster

Post by psung » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:08 pm

daleadmin wrote:psung,

Both the POS program and the KITCHEN program have to have their PATH set to the GLOBAL folder. The KITCHEN program can be run from any folder on any computer on the network.

The only restriction on setting the KITCHEN printer is that you cannot use the same printer port the POS program is using from the same computer.

Dale
But if running on the same computer, does KITCHEN support APRINT3 or USB printer?

And to TheVillain, computer cashier counter and "kitchen" is just a wall apart. So the printer cable is not too long, within 10ft. ;)

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:14 am

psung,

Yep, as long as you have the APRINT3.EXE program in the same folder as the KITCHEN.EXE program is run from. And remember that you have to start the APRINT3.EXE program before you start the KITCHEN.EXE program.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:23 pm

I am making one final change to the KITCHEN program.

It is very possible that not all items sold in a store / restaurant need to go to the kitchen. For example drinks may be be prepared by the waitress. Or this may be a restaurant / souvenir tourist trap. You don't want the sales from the souvinir counter to go to the kitchen.

Therefore you wil be able to specify which categories of merchandise will go to the kitchen. In the "Kitchen" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program you will be able to enter the range of categories that will be sent to the kitchen. For example if if categories 1 - 5 are drinks, 6 - 15 are food, and 16 - 52 are knicknacks then you would send categories 6 - 15 to the kitchen.

If your merchandise does not have categories (they are all set to zero) and you do not set the range of categories to be sent to the kitchen ( 0 to 0 ) then everything will be sent to the kitchen because the category on everything (zero) is in the range ( 0 to 0 ), what fun!

This new file will replace your POS.EXE, POSCONFG.EXE, CF2.EXE and KITCHEN.EXE program files so make backups first.

Here is the download link for version 6.40b BETA 4...

<center> http://www.dhpos.com/kitchen4.zip </center>
Link in later post
Dale
Last edited by daleadmin on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.