Selling tickets

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Re: Selling theater seats

Post by daleadmin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:14 pm

POS fans,

No, I did not get run over by a truck. Here is the next version of the theater program, version K.

NEW STUFF
When you are selecting a performance the current date will come up as the default instead of 0000-00-00 so that you just have to press [TAB] for performances for today. This is real handy if you are selling movie tickets. Also if you wish to change the date you no longer have to press [Delete] before typing in the new number.

GENERAL SEATING
You can now sell tickets by general seating, i.e., people can sit anywhere they like. When you set up a theater you will be asked to name the different sections of your theater (main floor, mezzanine, balcony, etc.) and enter how many seats are in each section. You may have up to 9 sections. Of course you do not have to divide you theater into sections, just fill in the top line with “MAIN FLOOR” and enter the total number of seats in the theater. You can add general seating information to an existing theater file. Theater files may have both a seat map for assigned seating and general seating information.
When you create a performance at the top of the page it will say “[F4] ASSIGNED SEATING.” Pressing [F4] will toggle the performance between “assigned seating” and “general seating.” With general seating you can still sell seat types (adult, child, senior, etc.) however in the price grid the numbers on the left now refer to the theater section which means that you can have different prices for different sections of the theater.
When you sell tickets by general seating the screen will not show the seating chart. Instead you will see a grid with the sections and the types like this….

Code: Select all

ADULT
                         CHILD
                               SENIOR
                                    DISCOUNT

UNSOLD/SEATS IN THEATER
      MAIN FLOOR     2     1    0    0     0     128   150
       MEZZANINE     0     0    0    0     0      50    50
         BALCONY     0     0    0    0     0      50    50
One of the lines will be highlighted, use the arrow keys to move the highlight up or down. The highlighted line is the one you are selling tickets from.
To sell the tickets you press the 1-5 or A-E keys just like if you were selling seats off of the seating chart. Every time you press a key you will sell one ticket, so to sell 2 adult tickets you must press [A] twice. Pressing [TAB] will clear all tickets from the sale and pressing [+] will print the tickets.

NEXT
Now I am going to work on integrating the theater program with the POS software. This is going to take a while.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:47 pm

OK, maybe I did get run over by a truck.

There have been several persistant bugs in the POS program that I needed so squish since a lot of that code will be incorporated into the Theater program. That is now done and I have been working on the Theater program.

NEW FEATURES

1. When you finish creating a theater seating plan you will be able to print it out on the printer (80 characters wide only) or save the seating plan to a text file that you can later load into any word processing program.

2. When selling tickets I noticed that if you have to move the cursor a far distance to the seat you want that it takes a long time to get there. Now if you hold down the [CTRL] key when pressing the arrow keys the cursor will skip 10 seats (going left or right) or 5 rows (when going up or down.)

BUG FIX

If you go to "Layout theater seating" and want to rename the file to make a copy of the file so that you can make changes to it, any changes you made were to the original file, not the copy. This happened even though the file name at the top of the screen was the name of the copy file.

This is a devastating bug because if you have already used the old file to sell tickets the old file is now changed which may allow you to sell the same seat twice or not be able to sell tickets to some seats or sell tickets to seats that do not exist.

This bug has been fixed in version L which can download and unzip at http://www.dhpos.com/theaterl.zip

The good news is that you can see that I am actually working on the theater program now and I hope to have it integrated into the POS program in a few weeks.

Dale

clock

Post by clock » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:59 pm

daleadmin wrote: I hope to have it integrated into the POS program in a few weeks.

Dale
Any News as im looking forward to this.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Clock,

I did work on this today. Right now I am trying to get the taxes to come out right.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:11 pm

Over the last 3 days there has been massive progress on this. I have about 97% of it working with just a few tweeks and bug squishing left to do before I can release a beta test version this weekend.

It always helps me clear up exactly what the program is supposed to do if I write the documentation first, or at the same time I am writing the program. So in the last hour I think I have finished the doc for the feature. I have posted a .PDF version of the doc here http://www.dhpos.com/theater4.pdf

Please read it and complain now before I finish it.

Dale

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:39 am

Despite the fact that 99% of the people who use DHPOS will have no interest in this feature whatsoever (IMHO) you're obviously hell-bent on going ahead with it. So as I want a couple of things that I'll be contacting you about later I'll be nice about it and encourage you in the hope of getting you to be over and done with it as soon as possible :roll:

I think your emphasis on 'theatre' in your blurb is a mistake. You rightly say that this is a general 'ticketing' feature and the only hope of any general DHPOS user finding this of interest is on that basis I think. :| So although you may want to refer to theatre layouts etc in the instruction manual I think that in POSCONFG references should just be to the EVENT. You can still use the same terminology - EVENT TIME, DATE, LAYOUT and all that stuff but if you are selling tickets on a bus or aircraft, you will be put off if all the references are to a dang theatre. Not that I've got anything against theatres of course.... :? But an EVENT can be a flight, a bus journey, anything really as well as a dang theatre performance.

Grudgingly I have to admit that as usual you've done a fine job with great attention to detail :twisted:

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:23 am

Rollerball,

Since I have already spent 9 months working on this then "Yep" I am pretty much going to finish it.

The feature was originally requested by the owner of a theater in England and that is what I have been working toward. It is only recently that I figured that it can be used to sell tickets for just about anything. So I guess that I could spend the extra time rewording everything to make it more generic but I thought that you wanted me to speed things up. Millr will be disappointed because he is already ragging on me to finish this so I can get to customer accounts.

Fortunately I am not getting paid to do this so I can do things in whatever order I want. This also means that I cannot get fired from this.

Oh well,
Dale

clock

Post by clock » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:30 pm

The only thing ill say is that there is no direct link on your website. Somepeople might want it but the only way of getting it is if you look sor a small link in a forum.

Its good software and ive tried it, and liked it just carnt wait till its all intergrated :D

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:10 pm

Clock,

It is not on the main site because it is not finished. I do not want general users (especially new users) to download something that will not work or is bug riddled. That is what the forum is for.

Can't wait? Read the next post.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:28 pm

FINALLY!!!

I have a complete beta test version of the ticket thing. Also a new manual to go with it at http://www.dhpos.com/theater4.pdf that I just up loaded. If you downloaded it before now do it again and hit the [Refresh] button.

There are 3 additional features besides tickets from 6.40M to this.

To simulate the [F?] keys press [ALT] plus a number key, i.e. [ALT]+[1] = [F1] etc. [ALT]+[-] = [F11] and [ALT]+[=] = [F12]

From the main menu press [F8] to look up a product by stock number.

From the main menu press [F9] to look up a get a gift card balance.

Now for the main dish.
This link (see later post for link) is a complete program download of the BETA #1 test version of Version 7.0 of the POS program. It contains all the files that have changed and all the files that have not changed. You can use this file to install the program in a new folder or even a new computer. Remember that this is a TEST version and you do not want to overwrite the current version you are using.

It will sell tickets and ring them up. It has all the features that comprise ticket selling. It does everything described in the .PDF file above. Now we are looking for bugs. Go find some, report back.

BTW, as per Rollerball's suggestions most references to PERFORMANCE have been changed to EVENT and THEATER has been changed to VENUE.

Now to sleep for a week. I expect bug email to be in my email box when I get back.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:11 pm

Well folks there is a reason that they are called "beta test" versions.

George from the UK found one bug in 7.0 B1, I found a bunch more. No one else reported anything. The found bugs have all been squished.

Here is BETA-2 (see later post for link)

This is also a full download.

Let'a go find a bunch more bugs so I can finish this thing and start a new feature.

Dale

PS, reporting that you found no bugs is also helpful, assuming that you looked.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:30 am

George pointed out another bug voiding out a sale to return to the main POS program. So here is a full download of beta 3.

Here is BETA-3 (see later post for link)

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Selling tickets

Post by daleadmin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:53 pm

George from the UK found 2 bugs.
1. When you pressed [F5] to void out rining up the sale and selected to return to the main POS program the program would die.
2. When selecting tickets for sale if you pressed [TAB] to unselect tickets they would disappear from the screen but when you went to ring them up they would still be there.

Tony found one bug.
1. When placing seats in a theater if you pressed [Backspace] it would place and [8] in the layout.

These were the only bugs reported today. We seem to be getting close to a general release of this thing.

All these bugs have been stomped on. The result is beta version 4 which you can download from here (see later post for link)

This is also a full download.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:58 pm

Tony found another bug. Just for the record I wish to state that I truly, deeply, passionately, hate included tax. So needless to say that is the bug that Tony found, piles of thanks. :)

I spent 8 hours today finding what was causing the bug (SL@(ROW,4) had an incorrect value) and two hours tonight fixing it, and then making sure that it worked and "added tax" still worked, but I think I have it fixed.

So now we all get to test 7.0 beta 5 which is here (see later post for link) which is again a full download.

So far the only beta testers I have heard from are George and Tony. Anyone else out there?

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:09 pm

No bug reports for 48 hours, things are looking up.

However I have made a change in the program in the "Layout venue seating" part. You see various entry screens before you get to the screen where you place the seats. These screens allow you to put text on tickets and tell the program the number of seats in each section, etc. Now from these screens you will be able to press [ESC] to quit the feature or [PG UP] and [PG DN] to go back and forth between the screens. Just remember that the changes in the venue will not be saved until you exit from screen where you place the seats.

Here is the link for BETA 6, it is a full download (see later post for link)

Dale