POS Migration / Conversion

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Michael J. Lynch
POS Migration / Conversion

Post by Michael J. Lynch » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:53 pm

Before finding DHPOS, the cost and complexity of our POS System(s) was an accepted reality. It now appears like we have a reasonable and rational alternative. In prior POS Hardware and Software decisions / purchases, we went with the recommendation of the POS Software Vendor. Today we have 333MHz PC's running a DOS POS Application up to a 2.8GHz PC running a Windows-XP Pro POS Application. This of course does not take into consideration the variety of POS Hardware accumulated over the years, some of which is O/S and or POS Software Version dependent. There is a "lot" to read on this WEB Site! I have started to read every FAQ and whatever else pertains to POS Hardware and Software on the Site. My question(s) to the Forum is / are:

A.) It appears that Windows-98 is well thought of when running Cash Register under Windows. Today, the majority of our Systems run under Windows-98 Second Edition. Is this the Operating System to stay / go with or is there another Windows Version which will run Cash Register more efficiently / friendly?

B.) We have a mixture of Bar Code Scanners, both KeyBoard Wedge and USB. We really prefer the USB Scanners. Is there a known, works ever time, USB Bar Code Scanner that we could use under Windows-98 Second Edition with confidence?

C.) What effect might USB Versions: 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0 have on our developing POS Migration / Conversion plan?

D.) We also have Serial Pole Devices and it appears that "Serial" Devices are a "no-no". Is there a known, works ever time, USB Pole Device that we could use under Windows-98 Second Edition with confidence?

E.) We have been using Epson Parallel Receipt Printers. It appears that they should not pose a problem. Is this a correct assumption?

F.) We plan on Networking our Registers over the Internet utilizing Cable and or DSL connections with VPN Tunneling Routers. Does anyone have experience in this area that might offer any advice?

G.) We would also consider utilizing Dial-Up connections but again this is all new to us so we would appreciate any advice or feedback.

H.) Our current POS Software has a built in Accounting Package which we use. Our Accountant would like to see us use Quick Books as that is what he is most familiar with. What experience might there be out there with regard to exporting data from Cash Register to Quick Books?

Best regards!

Mike Lynch

GAWG
Forum Regular

Post by GAWG » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:30 pm

As for the serial pole question, check out this thread:
http://www.home-nets.biz/discuss/phpBB2 ... .php?t=152

As it details a solution to get serial port devices to work correctly.

Generally speaking, Windows 98se is the best of the old windows versions. [WINME=ick] Like everything else, make sure its critical fixes are updated to make use of technologies (and patch holes) since 1999.

USB versions shouldn't affect you. With the 333's Im assuming they are not 2.0 which isn't a problem - USB 2.0 PCI cards can be had from Newegg.com for about $8 free shipping and work perfectly. If you are getting 2.0 for Win98, make sure the card works (depending on manufacturer) with your OS and supplies the drivers.

I have an Epson (Parallel) and it works well.

There are a lot of people here which can answer your networking questions. You'll be interested in the newest version of DHPOS which has just added networking ability to it. It will likely have fixes in the short term for any problems that may pop up. Keep an eye out.

As for quickbooks, you can read a review here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-3513_7-306 ... tag=search
Here is a review for 2003 Peachtree:
http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/b ... hp/2175831
For exporting, I have no idea..

Sorry for not being more helpful in answering all your questions. :P

okiepc
Forum Regular

Pos migration/conversion

Post by okiepc » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:18 am

Win98se is the best Windows system I know of for DHPos, it is still supported by Microsoft, it is small, but most of all it is quite stable.

I would not go with dial up if you have cable or other fast internet at a good price.

okiepc

Jonathan Simpson
Site Administrator

Post by Jonathan Simpson » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:35 pm

Well, to answear a few of your questions...

A. This is debatable. POS runs well on 98se, but 98 is more crash prone than some of the NT os's I like NT 4.0 in particular, because it handles dos apps fairly well. NT 3.51 also has solid support for DOS. However, POS has trouble accesing serial ports under NT based OS's (anything with "NT" in the name, as well as windows 2000 and XP). This mainly applies to printers, but that issue has been solved through the use of aprint. I would not suggest XP or 2000 due to the overloaded system requirements... you don't need all that for a register.

B. Find a USB scanner that emulates keyboards. Ask the distributor/retailer if it can emulate the keyboard when using a DOS box in windows.

D. At this time, no pole displays are supported by POS but you asked at exactly the right time! This is the current feature being worked on, and in fact, your help would be appreciated in testing the new feature if you have a variety of PD's to try it with. Serial is actually the best bet here, as I have no idea how to get it to work with USB.

F. As far as I know, you'll be the first to try :) Be sure to let us know how it turns out. You will need a very fast internet connection, and even with one you may find it too slow. Look into SDSL lines, make sure they are NOT ADSL, otherwise you will be disapointed. I would not suggest using Dial-up, but on the other hand POS's requests may be small enough that it might be feasible. I'll look into testing POS over a variety of connections to get some more info here. One last thing... get a networking guy to setup the VPN for you. You'll save yourself alot of headaches.

Jonathan Simpson