Ringing up sales by entering manually the price and scanning

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

montreal
Ringing up sales by entering manually the price and scanning

Post by montreal » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:16 pm

Thank you for this great software and most of all for making it FREE.

I'm seriously contemplating installing this software in my business. I'm now using a traditional cash register and ringing up items by entering manually the prices into different departments.

My question is:

I would love to have my business working on barcodes and therefore able to track my inventory on certain items in store. However, I do not have barcodes for all items in my store and I wish to ring up the prices of some items manually just like I did with my old cash register.

While entering items in a sale, will I be able with this programm to enter items with no barcodes by just entering manually the price (like in the minimal mode of this programm or like my old cash register) and also enter other items by scanning the barcodes from the stock table.

Thank you,

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm

You'll probably need to create a "Miscellaneous" stock item, give it a number and use that whenever you need to ring something up which isn't in the stock table.

You'll also need to set the "prevent price change during a sale" setting under "Stock Table" in POSCONFG to "NO", and if you want to be able to edit the description during a sale, set "should you be able to edit an item's description..." to "YES".

Of course, the downside is that these settings will apply to all of your stock table, not just the miscellaneous item.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:15 pm

montreal,

You can use a scanner to read barcodes on some items and type in stock numbers on other things. You can even type in the UPC codes from the barcode if the scanner will not read it.

In a sale if a stock number is deemed as being scanned it will enter the item into the sale with the price from stock table and a quantity of "1". However if you then press [TAB] you will be able to edit the price and quanity of the item you just scanned.

If the program deems a stock number as being typed in then the program will allow you to change the price and quantity before the item is entered into the sale.

The "Scanner" feature in the POSCONFG.EXE program has 3 possible settings.

1. Program chooses.
If you choose this setting then if the stock number is longer than 5 digits and it is entered in less that .5 seconds then the program will assume that the stock number was scanned otherwise it will assume the stock number was typed in.

2. All are keyed.
The program will assume that all stock numbers have been typed in even if they were scanned.

3. All are scanned.
The program will assume that all stock numbers have be scanned even if they were typed.

However if you type in a stock number and then press [F8] insted of [ENTER] then the program will assume the stock number was scanned even if you have the scanner feature set to #1 or #2.

To use a scanner you must set up the program to use the stock table. This means that all items must have a stock number in order to be rung up. However you can have a line in the stock table set to.....

Code: Select all

STOCK NUMBER  DESCRIPTION    PRICE
           1  MISCELLANEOUS   0.00
and then you can ring up the miscellaneous stuff in your store using the stock number of "1"

Dale