Transfering to a New Computer Question

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

NMS Boosters
Occasional Poster
Transfering to a New Computer Question

Post by NMS Boosters » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:44 am

First off a little about me. I have been running a Booster Club for our Middle School Athletics program for about 3 years. We looked into DHPOS about two years ago when we started to worry about our cash handling, but decided on a different option. It just seemed like too much for keeping track of candybars and soda pop. However, This year we are "Merging" with the School Store and now need to report our sales better so that each department gets their money properly. I remembered the DHPOS program and came back for another look (Updating to 6.40a) and setup the beginings of our stock table on a personal (My Laptop) Computer. I am Now setting up a computer (donated by the school) and downloaded the latest version on it (6.40d).
My Question is (and I may have missed the answer looking for it already)
What Files do I need to transfer if I want to put the Stocktable I am already using onto the new pc?
I am assuming that I need to run the POSConfig on the newer computer to set it up.

Thanks for any help.
And Thanks for the software we could not aford to do something like this "off the shelf"
Matt

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Transfering to a New Computer Question

Post by daleadmin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:58 am

Matt,

To transfer the program to another computer you can copy the entire folder (and any sub folders) that holds the POS program to a thumb (RAM) drive or CD-R, copy the folders to the new computer. This will transfer everything except the "Z" reading. You will have the same transaction numbers and your file of past sales and everything else will be there.

To start new except for the stock table copy the download file to a new folder on the new computer and unzip. Read this about file names http://keyhut.com/faq.htm#filename The stock table is in two files, ??????.TBL and ???????.IDX, copy these two files to the new computer. Now you must configure your new register. Make sure that you go into the "Stock table" feature and set the stock table to the correct number of lines. To avoid having to configure the new register you can copy over the ???????.POS file.

For a snack bar try this if you can fit your stock table into the first 40 lines of the stock table.

Go to the stock table and press "[F6] Groups". Select "[F9] Use stock table as default" Now exit the stock table. Go to the "Scanner" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program (even though you don't have a scanner) and set it to "3. All are scanned" Now when you return to the POS.EXE program to ring up a sale the screen will look like this http://keyhut.com/pos2.jpg Notice the column of letters next to the stock numbers. Now you can ring up items without having to enter stock numbers. You can scroll down to the item and press [ENTER] for as many of them as you want (2 twinkies = press [ENTER] twice) or press the letter for twinkies twice. When you are done press [+] to total the sale or [ESC] to go to the regular sales screen (then press [F1] to return to the menu screen.) If the item you need is in lines 21 to 40 then from the menu screen you can press [PG UP] and [PG DN] to change the page view.

This may seem complicated for about the first 2 minutes you do it but after that it will be incredibly easy and quick to do.

Dale

NMS Boosters
Occasional Poster

Post by NMS Boosters » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:18 am

Wow thanks for the help and the suggestion, I hadn't considered using the stock table that way but it looks like it should work for what we carry. I will be setting the computer up on Monday I will let you know how it goes, But I suppose that is the nice part of having a way to ask a question to someone who knows the program and is willing to answer questions. When ever we have to have support on the network you spend 2 hours on the phone listening to someone who does not speek english.

Again Thanks
Matt

NMS Boosters
Occasional Poster

Post by NMS Boosters » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:06 am

Thank you I was able to get the Computer setup and it is running now, we have been training some of the students to work the POS and it is going well. We have about 100 items in our list and it is still growing (the school sweatshirts and stuff have not shown up yet) but using the stock table saves a lot of time. When we can we are looking to pick up a barcode scanner to help speed things along a little, but for now things are working fine.

Thanks for the help

Matt