Networking over wide area HELP

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

hanzenlim
Networking over wide area HELP

Post by hanzenlim » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:29 am

Is it possible to network the DHPOS system to a wide area like from another city, through the internet or maybe set up a server that can connect to each other. Is this possible? How do i do this? thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Networking over wide area HELP

Post by daleadmin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:14 pm

Hanzenlim,

It has been reported that you can network the POS program over a VPN network, read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VPN

I have no idea how to do this but I am sure that some other users here will chime in with instructions.

However you have to ask yourself if this is a good idea. The main concern is the inventory. Since all stores will share the same stock table the inventory figures will also be shared. It may be helpful for you to know that all the stores have 23 of something but which stores have it. If one store has 15, and another store has 8, that means that all of the other stores are out of stock and there is not way of knowing this from the stock table. At the end of the year when you do your inventory and find out that 54 of something is missing, which store is it missing from?

This applies to other files as well. All stores would have to share the limit of 56 employees, etc.

And if for some reason the VPN network goes down in a store then that store is closed. If it goes down at the server then ALL of your stores are closed. At least with a local network, if you have the server folder on one of the registers, if the network goes down you still have at least one register working.

Dale

hanzenlim

Re: Networking over wide area HELP

Post by hanzenlim » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:37 am

your right dale, we'll have a problem in the inventory and stocks etc, instead can we have a server in each station, so they wont share inventory and stocks, then I can connect through the server from my home so I can see how much remaining stock I have, is this possible? do you have any idea how this works. thnxs for the info