keyboard problem

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

piet
keyboard problem

Post by piet » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:47 am

I'm living in Belgium, Europe and am looking into POS. Great program.
On my desktop (Win XP) it runs smoothly but on my laptop ("wonderful" Vista) the program takes my azerty-keyboard for a qwerty (same international settings etc as my desktop).
I've tried different setups (Google) but nothing seems able to convince it to change.
Has anyone encountered this problem with POS ?
Any suggestions to solve this ?
Thanks,
Piet

vxlancin
Forum Regular

Re: keyboard problem

Post by vxlancin » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:19 am

Have you tried going into the "text services and input languages" dialog. on your taskbar (blue bar at bottom) find the button that says EN or something like that.it should be on the right.right-click this and click on settings. click on add and select your keyboard type in the keyboard language drop-down list. click ok then again and restart your computer.

piet

Post by piet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:01 pm

I have tried that without succes.
The strange thing is that when I open the 'DOS prompt', the laptop recognizes azerty.
Only with POS it goes to qwerty.
So I assume it has to do with POS.

Piet

Bobby
Forum Regular

Post by Bobby » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:43 pm

This has to do with Vista. I did a search of google and found this solution in many places:
If, and only if, you do not use a US-English keyboard layout you must modify the Autoexec.nt file on your Vista system to that DOS applications use the keyboard that you need.
Open autoexec.nt in c:\windows\system32\ + go to the foot of the file and add this line (replacing xx with the two-letter abbreviation of your keyboard layout, for example, uk or nl):

kb16 xx

OBS you might need to move the file to desktop and back to get edit rights.
I hope that this helps you.

piet

Post by piet » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:39 am

Bobby,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I already tried the solution mentioned (with kb 16 be) and just now with kb 16 nl, nothing helps.
Someone suggested hookin up an external qwerty-keyboard but this seems but this seems a bit far fetched.
After all this has to do with with settings, isn't it?

Piet