POS version 6.40h released 3-19-08. New features, bug fix

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
POS version 6.40h released 3-19-08. New features, bug fix

Post by daleadmin » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:01 pm

New in version 6.40h

IMPORTANT! You can now select to have the "Timer" feature ON or OFF, the default is OFF. This means that if you are using the timers that you must go to the "Time sales" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program to turn the timers ON. If the timer feature is OFF pressing [CTRL] + [TAB] during a sale will do nothing.

Bug fixes in version 6.40h

In versions 6.40f and 6.40g if you sold gift cards huge values would appear in the "Unit tax." Reported by Joesapi. Fixed in version 6.40h

Bug fixes in version 6.40g

In the "Timer" feature the program was not giving credit for the "First ## minutes free." Reported by PWEB.

If you could select to print "Start time receipts" or "Stop time receipts" they would not print to a USB printer when using APRINT3.EXE even if you selected to print.

b]New in version 6.40h[/b]

IMPORTANT! You can now select to have the "Timer" feature ON or OFF, the default is OFF. This means that if you are using the timers that you must go to the "Time sales" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program to turn the timers ON. If the timer feature is OFF pressing [CTRL] + [TAB] during a sale will do nothing.

Download from the usual place http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm

Dale

EST
Forum Regular

Re: POS version 6.40g released 3-14-08. New features, bug fix

Post by EST » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:57 am

I see that you haven't add this information to the bug fixes/ new feature page. I'd recommend that you do.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:57 pm

EST wrote:I see that you haven't add this information to the bug fixes/ new feature page. I'd recommend that you do.
I just checked and the information is there.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

EST
Forum Regular

Post by EST » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:05 pm

Andrew wrote:
EST wrote:I see that you haven't add this information to the bug fixes/ new feature page. I'd recommend that you do.
I just checked and the information is there.
I must of jumped the gun, I checked before he added it. Sorry...

ToPS

Re: POS version 6.40h released 3-19-08. New features, bug fix

Post by ToPS » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:15 pm

To all the clever DHPossers,

I use:- server & 3 x networked PC's all running Win'98

Everything was running OK until I upgraded to 6.40h from 6.39n2.

Now at the end of every 10th sale, a grey screen will appear and the system will either hang for a few seconds and then return to the sales screen or it will completely exit the POS system.
This happens on all 3 PC's.
In the instances that the system returns to the sales screen, the cash drawers will not open unless the program is restarted.
When DHPOS must be restarted it works 100% until the 10th sale.

I have not made any hardware changes and have checked and re-checked all settings.

What am I missing?
Would a fresh start with clean folders maybe help?

Any help will be appreciated as this is very frustrating.

Regards

ToPS

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:51 am

ToPS,

Some people where having problems with "Running out of stack space." To fix this problem I had the program reboot itself after every 10 transactions which clears the stack. This happens so quickly that it is usually not noticable.

For some reason this is causing your problem. I have changed the program so that it uses a different method to reboot. Load this file into the folder that holds your copy of the POS software and see if this fixes the program. This file has a version number of 6.40h3. You do not have to unzip the file.

http://www.dhpos.com/pos.exe

Let me know what happens.

Dale

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:06 pm

Dale,

Thank you for your usual great assistance.

I will load it now (01:02) and test it later during the day and report back later.

Regards

ToPS

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:10 am

Dale,

We have been using the updated POS.exe for about 5 hours and there is definitely a very big improvement.
The system response is much faster and it does not pause after every 10th sale, however it still occasionally exits without any visible error message.
We are still trying to establish a pattern or frequency and will advise you as soon as more information is available.

Regards

ToPS

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:33 pm

Dale,

Just an update.

We were lucky to see the error message a couple of times:- out of string space in line 3 of module pos2 at address 17cd: 4d6f.

Being end of the month we are very busy but I will continue to try different options and I will advise of any development.

Regards

ToPS

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:28 pm

ToPS,

This happens after the sale? Does this happen only when you have many lines in a sale (20+) or can it happen when you have only a few items in a sale? How many lines do you have in your stock table?

Dale

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:30 pm

Dale,

It definitely always happens at the end of the sale when the enter key is pressed for the last time, irrespective of how many lines are in the particular sale(less than 9% of sales have more than 20 lines).

The stock table is set to 5000 max of which about 3500 are used.

As the problem occurs on all 3 Tills i'm thinking that it could be caused by something on the Server or with the communication with the server.
I'm trying various options e.g. changing the network switch etc.
Tomorrow I will change from using a mapped network drive to setting the network path in Posconfig directly to the networked PC.
If nothing else solves the problem then from 1 April I want to use a fresh Global folder setup with only the stock table from the old setup.

As I'm no expert about the inner workings of DHPOS, I'm just using my little bit of common sense to eliminate all possible causes I can think of.
Any ideas will be appreciated, but I do not expect you to waste to much of your time on one user's problem.

Regards

ToPS

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:14 pm

ToPS,

Before it dies does the receipt print, and is the sale saved to the file of past sales (can you use the "5. Voids" feature to find it?) Do you have the History turned on? Does it help to turn the History off?

Did you have this problem before you recently upgraded?

Dale

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:35 pm

Dale,

I will make sure whether the receipt prints as we have the system set up to ask and we rarely say yes to print a receipt, but I'm quite sure that it prints.

The sales history is updated with the sale concerned and I will have to test to see if turning it off makes any difference.
We did not have this problem before we updated.

Today there was a slight change in the system behaviour:- In some instances the system would not completely exit when the pause happens as described before, but it will proceed to the next sale, however, the open cash drawer function would not work until the program is restarted.
The same error message as before with a different address also surfaced.... 1CCE:406F.

My own efforts so far were all to no avail but I will keep on trying.

Regards

Tops

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:17 pm

ToPS,

Make a backup of your current POS.EXE file and then download this http://www.dhpos.com/pos.exe to the folder that holds the POS software. when you then run the POS.EXE program it will be version 6.40h2

See if that helps.

Dale

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:45 am

Dale, your POS.exe link above doesn't work :(