POS: Now on Mac!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

ibmsystems
Forum Regular
POS: Now on Mac!

Post by ibmsystems » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:25 am

Those of you using Mac OS X 10.3.0 or later can now (With a software add-on.) Run POS. The Software you need is called Boxer. It is a Mac Port of DOSBox (Some of you here may know about that application.) And is a DOS Emulator which runs DOS 5.0 on both Linux and Unix systems (As Mac OS X is Unix based it works fine.) I've created an example Mac Disk Image which you simply need to download Mount and Drag the .app file.

"The Catch"
The biggest problem is that I don't think Hardware Devices (Excluding USB Based Input Devices like Scanning Devices) will work. Unless they are emulated via USB or Firewire (Commonly referred to as FW) Printing via APRINT4.exe worked in my tests as long as the printer had up-to-date Mac Drivers.

Install / Setup

-Download and Mount the "DH640iMac.dmg" Disk Image from the Link below.
-If you plan on using this setup alot on your Mac then it would be a good idea to Drag the Boxer.app Icon to your users application folder. "/HomeFolder/Applications/" and Drag the POS File Folder to the Desktop. You could also drag it to your Documents folder and create an Alias to the POS.exe file.
Simply Double Click the POS.exe file, Boxer will launch and you should see the welcome screen to POS!

[Note: Dial-Up users need not try download the Disk Image, Its 27.3MB!]
[Windows user will not be able to view the contents of this file without an external proxy application to open Disk Images in the HFS+ File Format. So below is the file tree included in the DMG

Code: Select all

total 8
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root staff 102 19 Feb 2008 Boxer.app
-rw-r--r--@ 3 root staff 1146 1 June 2008 ReleaseNotes.rtf
drwx-----@ 3 root staff 1394 1 June 2008 POS640i
end of ls -l
Download: http://tinyurl.com/4of47e
Main Screen with "About This Mac" window : http://pixloads.com/public/pview/55477/08.jpg.jpg
Application Running: http://pixloads.com/public/pview/55476/09.jpg.jpg
As I am not the developer of the DOSBox Core or Boxer, I am unable to provide support for either of those applications. It would be wise to run this on the Mac At your own Risk! I'm a Mac Using Brit, Not a Rocket Scientist!

(If you receive an error message then retry the download in 15 minutes.)
Known Problems:
-Colours may not work on systems using Mac OS X 10.3.0 and below.
-External Hardware (Excluding those connecting via USB) Don't work as far as I know.)
-Systems like the MacBook or Mac Mini or systems using the Intel GMA950 Graphics Chipset may have problems displaying Graphics for the first few minutes after launch. This seems to clear it self up after about 5 minutes.
-Systems not running in English may have problems with stability. (I tested this applications and setup on both of my Macs which run in the English[GB] mode.
-Networking support is Dodgy!

(My last post was over a year ago! I'd say this was a pretty good return post!)

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Re: POS: Now on Mac!

Post by RollerBall » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Interesting....... but why on earth would anyone want to run DHPOS on a Mac :roll:

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:34 pm

Is it possible to run DHPOS on a Mac using Parallels Workstation or Boot Camp with an installation of Windows?
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

bob5731
Forum Regular

Post by bob5731 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:44 pm

I can get it now!!!
P.S. God Loves You And Have A Good Day!!!
http://god5731.myftp.org/

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:18 pm

rossiv wrote:I am trying to get POS to run on my mac in DOSBox, but can not get it to print for the life of me. I googled, and nothing worked. Has anyone here accomplished printing from DOSBox on a mac? I also have VMWare Fusion with FreeDOS installed, and it prints but only to a file on my desktop - not to a printer. I could run XP in VMWare, but that would be a little overkill. Any tips on this? Thanks! Ross

Although it pains me greatly to help a mac user,

Are you using APRINT? Please give more info. Is your printer usb/serial/parallel/other?

-Tyler

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:02 pm

The question here is will APRINT run under DOSBox and if it does can it find the printer drivers on a Mac?

I have asked Jon, and I am waiting for a reply.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:36 pm

Jon has replied that APRINT will not run on a Mac.

Sorry,
Dale