Webcam Scanner

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

gary
Forum Regular
Webcam Scanner

Post by gary » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:50 am

Hi

Can someone please help me set this up with DHPOS?

http://en.barcodepedia.com/download

My webcam is comptaible as it works via the website, How do i get the scan result to enter the number into DHPOS?

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Webcam Scanner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:09 pm

Gary,

What are you trying to do with this? The site you posted looks up UPC codes and tells you what they are, doesn't your product already have barcodes on them and don't you already know what they are?

For example I looked up the barcode on a box of Kleenex and the site told me that it was a box of Kleenex. I already knew that since the barcode was on a box of Kleenex. What is the point of that?

Dale

TheRealBMac

Post by TheRealBMac » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:51 pm

There's a program called LibraCam, which is bundled with the freeware Libra cataloguing software.
http://www.getlibra.com/

I've experimented with using LibraCam to scan barcodes into DHPOS... it works well if you sell books, movies, music or software. Anything else, you're better off investing in a real scanner.

TheRealBMac

Post by TheRealBMac » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:50 pm

Update: I've been tinkering with the webcam I bought recently (Creative Live Cam Video IM Pro - VF0410) and after tweaking the image settings just so, the camera's scanning performance with LibraCam is very close to that of the most common omnidirectional scanners, e.g. the Metrologic Orbit or Symbol's LS9100. The way I'm testing it, the camera is under a bright desk lamp, with the cam's exposure way down, the sharpness & contrast way up - this boosts the frame rate to about 25 fps - and the focus set to clearly "see" a typical UPC barcode about 7-10 inches away. At these settings, most UPCs stand out and get scanned with little effort needed. Next step: try infrared LEDs for lighting instead of the desk lamp.

TheRealBMac

Post by TheRealBMac » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:58 pm

Before I forget... if you use LibraCam with DHPOS, all you have to do is run LibraCam, then minimize it (after you've tuned up your camera) and run DHPOS in the foreground. LibraCam will enter the barcode digits as if it were a keyboard wedge scanner, and it automatically adds the "Enter" key press after a barcode is successfully scanned.

Dukane
Forum Regular

Post by Dukane » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:45 am

Where can you get a copy of LibraCam for Windows?

TheRealBMac

Post by TheRealBMac » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:59 pm

http://www.getlibra.com - LibraCam is bundled with the main Libra software.