Gap check feature

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

IAN
Forum Regular
Gap check feature

Post by IAN » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:42 am

just wondering would it be possible to create a feature that you could create a list of items and have the system tell you how many you should have.

for example.
you have some gaps on your shelf (lets say 30,) you know what should be there but unsure if you have any? instead of looking up every item in the inventory one by one you could load a program them it would read the stock files and tell you if you have sold them all or you should have so many sitting out the back somewhere.

i have this feature where i work and its a god send, id hate to write down many items to find most have sold out! also when finished i can put in the amount we found, (in case they have been stolen and this updates the inventory.)
i dont know how many products we sell we are a small corner shop taking about £32,000 a week now thats almost $64,000 a week. Thats why you see its a great idea and time saver and think it would help everyone that uses DHPOS too.

my other thought is that if something gets stolen the system dont know this, and you cant sell something that isnt there... but the system wont tell you to order anymore, until you update the inventory stock table, usually find you have none when your asked by a customer and you try looking for it but no avail.

any comments, is this idea good or bad for DHPOS users? do you think dale should put this in the "get round to do this some day pile"?

ian
IAN

(Everything i say is a lie! so am i telling you the truth?)

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Gap check feature

Post by daleadmin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Ian,

Well lets see if I can straighten this request out.
you have some gaps on your shelf (lets say 30,) you know what should be there but unsure if you have any? instead of looking up every item in the inventory one by one you could load a program them it would read the stock files and tell you if you have sold them all or you should have so many sitting out the back somewhere.
You can break up your inventory by category or vendor (up to 255 of each) and then go to the "Reports" feature of the POS.EXE and do an "Inventory by category" or "inventory by vendor" and in each you can do the whole thing or pick just one (category or vendor) and it will print out the inventory of stuff you have in stock. If it is printed you've got it (and it will tell you how many) and it it is not printed you are out of stock.
my other thought is that if something gets stolen the system dont know this, and you cant sell something that isnt there... but the system wont tell you to order anymore, until you update the inventory stock table, usually find you have none when your asked by a customer and you try looking for it but no avail.
You are correct. If something is stolen the program will have no way of knowing about it. How could it? If you find something stolen you will have to go into the stock table and manually change the inventory for that item. If you find a bunch of stuff stolen you can just ring them all into a sale (change the prices to 0.00) and total the sale. This will also remove them from inventory.

I am not sure but I think that the PURCHASE.EXE program will also be helpful here, somehow. Here are the instructions for it http://keyhut.com/postip9.htm#purchase

Dale

IAN
Forum Regular

Re: Gap check feature

Post by IAN » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:19 pm

ok where i work i compile all the items using a hand held device that makes a report (.csv i think?) it then collates the files scanned with the inventory and only selects those with the vairance .

so to sum up i scan barcode on the shelf edge, (i select 0 items as other numbers do something else) then send data to back office pc, then it only shows those i scanned but only those with +1 or more stock items from 0.

as you can almost see it could be similar to price lookup but uses the stock count data not the price data and is printable, so to use a list in a csv then prints out the data all in one swoop?
IAN

(Everything i say is a lie! so am i telling you the truth?)