Buggy Gift Cards

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

RollerBall
Forum Regular
Buggy Gift Cards

Post by RollerBall » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:23 am

I keep coming back to this just in case I'm the problem - but I don't think so.

I sell a Gift Card for £20
I use the Gift Card to buy goods for £8.70 leaving a balance of £11.30

Q1 - why does the system treat this as a check transaction? It's nothing of the sort. No matter how hard I look I won't find a check in my cash drawer.

I then use the Gift Card to buy goods for £37.90
I don't bother to check the card balance because I'm a sales clerk.
The system again treats this as a check transaction showing the amount due as £37.90
I just hit the key to say amount paid by check is £37.90 ( la la la - my nails are looking real nice today - oooo that's a cute looking customer)
The sale is accepted - the customer leaves
I'm down £26.60 and I still won't find a check in my cash drawer.

Q2 - why is this still treated as a check transaction
Q£ - why isn't the balance on the card being checked before it's accepted for payment

I hate to say it because I still love 6.39k - but this system doesn't work now. I'm sad too that all the development effort seems to be going into a Theatre Ticket version that AFAIK only one person asked about when such a valuable feature is being left to go begging.

I've said what I wanted to so now I'll just go back into my corner with a big SIGGHHHHHHHH :cry:

Dukane
Forum Regular

Re: Buggy Gift Cards

Post by Dukane » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:19 pm

How is it being done as a check transaction? Why are saying you want to pay by check when you want to use a gift card? (option 5)

I don't see any check when I ring up the sale as a gift card, when I try to buy something that costs more than the value on the gift card the problem deducts the remaining value from the gift card and applies it to the order and then tells me how much the customer owes. Everything seems to be working just fine for me.

I see in your post that you are using version 6.39k. The current version of the program is 6.40k. You should consider upgrading. I was having an issue with 6.37 with gift cards (not being able to add money to the card) but that was eliminated with 6.40k.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:46 pm

Rollerball,

I have no way of checking out version 6.39K so I did my testing on 6.40K.

Well I just killed an entire afternoon with this (therefore I did not work on the tickets thing, you will be so proud of me) and the result is that I could not find any problem.

Unfortunately your lack of details leaves open way too many possibilities for me to check every conceivable way this problem could occur. (Not to mention possible inconcievable ways.) So it is possible that there is a problem, I just do not have enough details to find it.

I am assuming that you started this little adventure after just closing out the register and then opening it so all the totals on the “close register” screen are all zeros. (Missing detail #1)

I am also assuming that you do not allow cash as a payment option. (Missing detail #2) Then at the end of a sale the default payment option will be “2. Checks”

When you sold the gift card you did not state how the customer paid for it. (Missing detail #3) If the customer paid by check then there is the check sale. You will notice that when you purchase a gift card that on the “Closing” screen the proper payment method will be credited (Check sales = 50.00) but the total will remain zero (Net sales = 0.00)

Assuming that you only allow the payment methods of “2. Checks” and “5. Gift cards” (Missing detail #4) then when the customer pays for a purchase using a gift card the default payment option will be “2. Check”, to charge the purchase to a gift card you will have to press [5] then enter or scan in the gift card number. The program has no way of telling how the customer is paying, you have to tell the program how the customer is paying then enter the proper information. (Either the check info or the gift card number).

I have tried this a zillion times today (hence the death of my afternoon), and as long as I press [5] when the program asks me to choose a payment method, the program always handles the gift card thing properly.

It is possible that there really is a problem and I just can’t find it but you will have to supply me with many more details before it can be located by me.

I now return to working on tickets (Yippie!) which has now been delayed by one afternoon. (Was that your evil plan all along?)

You do realize that as soon as the tickets thingie is released that you will also be getting your “Total value of all outstanding gift cards” report? You should be telling me to work harder on it not doing major damage to one of my afternoons.

Dale

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:13 pm

Sorry, you're misunderstanding me. I've stayed with 6.39k because 6.40k for me anyway does not work. Obviously 6.39k doesn't include gift cards so what I'm talking about doesn't refer to 6.39k in any way shape or form.

I've taken 6.40k as it came straight from the download and set it up to accept cash, checks, credit cards, debit cards, gift cards and multiple forms of payment, to give cash back on debit cards but not credit cards. The system I am working with is also set up with UK standard rate VAT at 17.5%.

Having sold a gift card if it's then used to purchase anything it comes up immediately as a check transaction. All other forms of payment work as they should and customers can pay for a gift card using any of the other forms of payment.

I have set up quite a few DHPOS systems and I doubt there are many people with the exception of Dale who know their way round the system better than me.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:51 pm

Rollerball,

So you are saying that when you press [5] to select for gift cards it then asks you for the check number, and other check related information?

Dale

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:34 am

No, when you select payment by gift card, it just asks 'for the amount paid by check'. If you then put in the amount of the sale it goes through and concludes the sale. And as I said before, if the value on the card is less than the amount of the sale and you put in the sale value as the 'amount paid by check' it happily accepts it.

Dale, it's only fair that as you've put so much time and effort into this that I put a little in too so I'll zip up my files and email them over with step by step instructions on how I get what I do. Give me a day or so.

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:59 am

Zip file now emailed

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:50 pm

It seems as though the problem is running the program with multiple currencies screws up the gift cards and the user defined payment method. I changed the program to ignore multiple currencies for those two payment methods and sent some test files to Rollerball. As soon as he gets back to me with good news I will release the fix as version 6.40M

Dale

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:24 pm

Folks, Dale is looking at one little detail but what I've seen is outstanding and does all the things I've posted about. This will be an excellent release and a great leap forward for anyone else like me who has up to now stuck with 6.39.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:57 pm

I found another problem. When you have multiple currencies at the end of the sale the "message area" of the screen is supposed to list all the pay methods used, and the change, so that you can collect the correct amounts and give the correct change, liike this...

Code: Select all

CASH PAY:       DOLLARS     20.00
  CREDIT PAY:       ZIMBABWE   250.00
 USER DEFINE:       DOLLARS      5.00
      CHANGE:       ZIMBABWE    56.14
Without going in to details this was totally screwed up but it is now fixed in version 6.40M which will be releases as soon as I hear back from Rollerball.

Dale