Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

What would you like to see in the next version of DHPOS?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:08 pm

New Interface
20%
New Features
60%
More Bug Fixes
20%
2-station Compatibility
No votes
Less restrictions
No votes
Re-designed website
No votes

Total votes: 5

EST
Forum Regular
Re: 6.41

Post by EST » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:43 pm

daleadmin wrote:Rather than covering the concept of using function keys to choose between printing or not printing receipts I am going to explore the concept of not printing receipts in the first place.

What, are you NUTS???

Do not think of receipts as a waste of paper or something that customers can use to annoy you with returns or exchanges. Instead think of receipts as a way to make sure that your employees are not pocketing the money from sales and leaving you holding the bag.

Here is what happened at one of my sister keyshops. I went there and had to print out a week's worth of journals to see if the shop was opening and closing on time. To do this I looked at the time stamp on the opening and closing receipts, pretty simple. Since I had the journals anyway I went through all of the transactions (about 30 a day) to see if anything else weird was happening. When a uncompleted sale is voided the host store register marks that fact on the journal along with the amount of the sale when it was voided (a feature that I may add to DHPOS.) So looking at the journals I see many many uncompleted sales and within a minute of each of them a NO SALE was rung up which then opened the cash drawer. This happened about 20 times during the week.

Does anyone want to guess what was going on?

OK, time's up. The employee was ring up a sale, telling the customer the amout due, then voiding the sale. He then did a NO SALE to pop open the drawer to give change. The amount of the sale he then put in his pocket.

What fun.

To stop this we had the following sign put up in the shop...

Code: Select all

ABSOLUTELY
No refunds or exchanges 
   without a receipt.

MAKE SURE YOU
    GET A RECEIPT
Now it is each individual customer that is making sure that all transactions are properly rung up on the register because they will insist on getting a receipt.

Of course this only works if you print a receipt for every transaction.

Dale
No, I didn't mean to have a button for all receipts. I meant to have a button to print a receipt without totaling the sale (to see all items, coupons, refunds, reductions, etc.). You would still get a receipt when you pressed + then entered the amount tendered. I was just wondering if there would be a way to add a function option to print a basic receipt.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:38 pm

EST,

Well as pointed out in my previous post that would kind of make having a register pointless. A receipt means that a sale has been completed and paid for, it is also a proof of purchase. You sure to not want those running around with out having completed a sale. Plus you can see all the information about the sale on the screen, why would you need to print it out?

Or are you referring to a sales check?

Dale

EST
Forum Regular

Post by EST » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:41 pm

daleadmin wrote:EST,

Well as pointed out in my previous post that would kind of make having a register pointless. A receipt means that a sale has been completed and paid for, it is also a proof of purchase. You sure to not want those running around with out having completed a sale. Plus you can see all the information about the sale on the screen, why would you need to print it out?

Or are you referring to a sales check?

Dale
Kind of, it doesn't show that the sale would be totaled, it would just be the sales check. Just showing whats in the sale and the running sale price.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:58 pm

Well then use the sales check feature.

Dale