Easier Price Look-up & Gift Card Balance

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

What do you think of DHPOS 6.40m2?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:54 pm

5-stars: Love it the way it is, no problems!
No votes
4-stars: Like it, wish there was a few changes or bug fixes, but no serious problems!
67%
3-stars: Neutral, wish there was more to it or more bug fixes (some may be serious)!
33%
2-stars: Dis-Like, too hard to use or too few features or to many bugs (mainly serious)!
No votes
1-star: HATE IT!!! BUGS BUGS BUGS
No votes

Total votes: 3

EST
Forum Regular
Easier Price Look-up & Gift Card Balance

Post by EST » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:40 am

Could there be a way to add the option "Look-up" to the main menu of the program, which could give you a way to look up item prices and the balance of gift cards, all without entering a password? You would just have to scan or type the UPC #.
Last edited by EST on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vxlancin
Forum Regular

Re: Easier Price Look-up & Gift Card Balance

Post by vxlancin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi
I have created a small program for quick stock lookup
I will post it shortly.It will be used by pressing f4 at menu of pos.
What stock info do u want it to display?
Dale - every time i get it to exit, your pos closes also. Any ideas?

EST
Forum Regular

Post by EST » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:25 pm

vxlancin wrote:Hi
I have created a small program for quick stock lookup
I will post it shortly.It will be used by pressing f4 at menu of pos.
What stock info do u want it to display?
Dale - every time i get it to exit, your pos closes also. Any ideas?
:idea: I think it should display the item name, item sku, item price, sale price, actual cost per item, and in-stock amount (inventory).
:arrow: Or, if that's too much, maybe just do item name, item sku, item price, sale price, and in-stock amount (inventory).

:idea: You should be able to key-in or type the sku.

:idea: The main menu should say "F4 Look-up," or something like that.

:idea: It shouldn't be password protected (for easier look-up) and it should also display giftcard information.
:arrow: You may need to do a separate script for gift card balance look-up, however!

:idea: The main screen should have a place to enter the name or sku of item (either type or scan) and it should pull up the item(s) info or giftcard balance.

I think it's a great idea!
Last edited by EST on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Your program must not just "exit", it needs to re-run the POS application otherwise DHPOS will not resume.
Dale Harris wrote:To do this you place in your POS folder on your hard drive a datafile named NEXTFILE.DAT which contains only the name of the program file you want to run, usually a DOS program (the program should be in the POS folder.) When the other program terminates it must do so by using the command RUN "POS"

Now when you press [F4] the POS program will see if there is a NEXTFILE.DAT file and then read it. It will then place a file on the disk so that POS will know when it restarts to return to the menu rather that starting from the beginning. It then RUNs the other program.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:56 pm

I am thinking of a routine to look up a price AND a gift card balance from the main menu. However I do not know when I will get to it.

Andrew is correct. When you press [F4] the POS program will set itself up to return to the menu and then run your program. However your program must not end with the command END but must restart the POS program with the command RUN "POS"

Dale

EST
Forum Regular

Post by EST » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:54 am

daleadmin wrote:I am thinking of a routine to look up a price AND a gift card balance from the main menu. However I do not know when I will get to it.

Andrew is correct. When you press [F4] the POS program will set itself up to return to the menu and then run your program. However your program must not end with the command END but must restart the POS program with the command RUN "POS"

Dale
Can't wait for you to incorporate that into your program!

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:09 pm

Well try this http://www.dhpos.com/poslook2.zip

It is only the POS.EXE file, version 6.40m1. Make a backup of your current POS.EXE file first.

You must currently have POS version 6.40M to use this.

From the main menu press [F8] for stock lookup or [F9] for gift card balance.

Try it out, report back.

Dale

EST
Forum Regular

Post by EST » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:45 pm

daleadmin wrote:Well try this http://www.dhpos.com/poslook2.zip

It is only the POS.EXE file, version 6.40m1. Make a backup of your current POS.EXE file first.

You must currently have POS version 6.40M to use this.

From the main menu press [F8] for stock lookup or [F9] for gift card balance.

Try it out, report back.

Dale
I like it!
:idea: I wish it would say "inventory" instead of "invent," I got a little confused with that.
:idea: I also wish you could add an option to the main menu "10. Product Search" > "1. Stock Search," "2. Gift Card Search."
:arrow: It would make it easier to find and remember (I would have to write F8=... F9=...)!
:!: When it doesn't find an item I wish it would say "item not available" or something like that...
:D Other than that, good job so far!!! Hope it will be in v7.0 or sooner...

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:11 pm

Est,

Take a really close look at the main menu screen. See a place where I can add an extra line? Plus you can select a menu item by pressing on of the number keys, do you see a [10] key on your keyboard?

One of the reasons that you got this feature is that I was able to do it in just 35 lines of code, and I wanted people to stop asking for it. This means there will be no bells and whistles (especially those darn whistles). Think of it as a "Cliff's Notes" version of a feature. It does what it is supposed to do, if you can find it, and no more. So it is what it is going to be, there will be no more, so you can use it now.

But mainly if I get another request for this I can say, "The program already does that, go away.", and that works for me.

And I now return to my regularly scheduled program, i.e. the ticket thing.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:17 pm

Upon further review it seems silly to have a feature if the key needed to access the feature is not listed on the screen. So I have put labels on the bottom corners of the POS main menu. This is version 6.40m2 of the POS.EXE program file at http://www.dhpos.com/poslook2.zip

And this is absolutely the last word on this feature unless it isn't.

Dale

EST
Forum Regular

Post by EST » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:36 pm

daleadmin wrote:Upon further review it seems silly to have a feature if the key needed to access the feature is not listed on the screen. So I have put labels on the bottom corners of the POS main menu. This is version 6.40m2 of the POS.EXE program file at http://www.dhpos.com/poslook2.zip

And this is absolutely the last word on this feature unless it isn't.

Dale
Thank you, that was what I wanted (2nd option).