Serial Scales?

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

astradtn
Occasional Poster
Serial Scales?

Post by astradtn » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:02 pm

Is there any plan to add support for scales with RS-232 ports? We run a produce stand that requires interfacing with a scale.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Re: Serial Scales?

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Probably not, serial-anything usually gives Dale the shivers. But if anything, his reply will be worth a chuckle :)
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

astradtn
Occasional Poster

Post by astradtn » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:30 pm

I figured as much. He does seem to have quite a dislike for anything serial. I was just wondering as that will be an important factor in our decision for a new cash register solution.

Thanks

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:26 pm

astradtn,

Andrew is correct, a serial interface is problematic. However to have any hope at all would require that I actually have one of those scales to abuse, er, work with.

Well that sounds swell but the odds are probably slim that the scale folks are going to meet my price, which would mean that they would just give me one. This is because the POS software is free so there is an acute lack of money pouring in here to finance stuff like serial digital scales.

But you never know, they could be nuts. Give them my address.

Dale