POS files line counts

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
POS files line counts

Post by daleadmin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:18 am

I have no idea why I am posting this but here is some DHPOS trivia.

The POS program actually consists of 16 program files the I have written plus two that were written by Jonathan Simpson, APRINT4.EXE and CDK.EXE, and a file I cannot rememer who wrote SALEDATA.EXE. And you might want to include the Pertelian X2040 pole display driver.

I have no details on the code for those 4 programs but here are the code line counts for the files I have written as of 9-7-08

LINES PROGRAM NAME
423 BIGPOLE.EXE
5458 CF2.EXE
1198 CONVERT.EXE
3242 FILEINFO.EXE
3320 GIFTCARD.EXE
1846 KITCHEN.EXE
1007 LOOKUP.EXE
7901 POS.EXE
4974 POSCONFG.EXE
1544 PURCHASE.EXE
2392 RECEIVE.EXE
415 REMOTE.EXE
1591 SONDSCAN.EXE
3997 STOCKS.EXE
6662 THEATER.EXE
1029 TIMER.EXE
46999 TOTAL

As you can see the POS.EXE program is much larger than any of the others. If anyone thinks that I am been kidding about running out of code space in that program you can see that I am not.

The THEATER.EXE program is the second largest so I guess that I have not been goofing off in the last 9 months I have been working on it.

An old rule of thumb says that it takes 1 man-hour to write and debug 1 line of code. But that includes a lof of other stuff such as planning what that line of code is supposed to do before you write it. documenting the lines of code in the manual, and other support stuff. There is only me writing all this code. That means that it should have taken me 5.25 years to write 46,999 lines of code working every day of the year, 24 hours a day. Or working 40 hours a week with no weeks off, 22.6 years. I have actually written this in 7 years while holding down a full time job to pay the bills. Sometimes I sleep, not often. Then there are the phone calls and emails about the program, mostly concerning serial printers. :)

For this effort I guess that I have received about $1500 in donations for the last 7 years (not including one really huge donation) and about $700 from AdSense in the last 9 months. This comes to about 4.6¢ an hour.

There are a few folks out there who think that I should stop goofing around and begin writing the features that they want. They can reply to this post to state their case. :) Remember to remind me that I will be getting on average 4.6¢ an hour to do it.

Dale