How does APRINT work?

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Tomi Päivinen
Occasional Poster
How does APRINT work?

Post by Tomi Päivinen » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:27 pm

I was wondering how APRINT works or is it commercial secret? I'm asking this because I'm working on my own little add-on to DHPos that process credit and debit cards (I know Dale is doing it probably right now, but even if he is I'm not sure X-Charge would work here). It is a small dos-based program and I thought that as there is already a program that sends the receipt to be printed in Windows (aprint) it is waste of time for me to write an another program that does the same thing (I would probably have to work many ours to achieve the same result).

So if it's possible to tell (without violating anyone's copyrights or commercial secrets): what happens when DHPos sends a receipt to be printed on aprint? (And what would my add-on have to do to achieve the same result?)

-Tomi.
-Tomi.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: How does APRINT work?

Post by daleadmin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:55 pm

I assume you want to know how to interface with APRINT4.EXE, not so much how it actually does what it does.

First of all let me give credit to the author. All the APRINT?.EXE programs were writtem by Jonathan Simpson. A completely wonderful person who in the spirit of DHPOS does all of his miracles for the cause for the usual fee of nothing. This is even less than what I get because occasionally someone does send in a donation so I work for extremely close to nothing. Sometimes I can use my monthly donations to purchase a hamburger, which is way more than what Jon gets. (Chuckle)

Anyway. To get APRINT to shoot your print stream to a printer you place your text into a file named WLSDFKJN.DRY, then close the file. I needed a file name that would not be used by anything else so I closed my eyes, typed 11 random keys on the keyboard, then stuck a period into it. So this brings to a halt the endless spectulation of the deep, hidden meaning of what WLSDFKJN.DRY stands for, actually means, or is it something satanic. Nope, just random letters.

The WLSDFKJN.DRY file must be created in the same folder that is running the APRINT program.

My program sends text to WLSDFKJN.DRY in lines of 80 characters or less. I do not know what would happen if you sent whole paragraphs, it would probably work fine.

You must not create WLSDFKJN.DRY files too quickly or only the last one will get printed. Depending on the speed of the computer you will need to wait 4 to 9 seconds to send the next one. However if you can combine multiple documents into one WLSDFKJN.DRY file then it will work fine (assuming of course your document is not the lenght of "Dune".)

Dale

lsunw
Forum Regular

Post by lsunw » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi,

I would like to do something Tomi plan. My case is to sent data to a web based ERP system to record the payment of invoice/customer.

But, it let me wonder is it possible to run APRINT at the same time print the receipt through normal receipt printer LPT1? (definately in this case we are using APRINT for other purpose so would like the receipt to be print as well)...

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:30 pm

lsunw,

Aprint4 will allow you to select any printer, printing device, print emulator like CutePDF writer, fax, or anything that is in your Windows list of printing devices (your Uncle Ernie maybe?)

You want to send the print stream to "a web based ERP system", what ever that is. Fine if you can get it listed somehow in the list of printers and faxes then just pick that.

However it will only send the print stream to one device.

Your other option is to contact Jon and convince him to add your thing to Aprint

Dale