Questions about some features

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

arcovine
Forum Regular
Questions about some features

Post by arcovine » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:12 pm

I have a few questions to ask. Could we make the Void feature [by pressing F5 key] in the Purchase menu to be turned-off somehow? Coz we're worried that the employee would be able to void a real transaction without being known/recorded.

Second is, could the program detect the cash drawer whether it's closed or open?
What I mean is, for example: When a purchase is over, the cash drawer should be closed properly. If it's not, the program would be inactive until the cash drawer is closed properly.

That is all. Thanks in advance. :D

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Questions about some features

Post by daleadmin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:02 pm

VNics,

Yes and No, sort of.

You can go to the "Passowrd and Name" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program and set a password for the "Void" feature. That way they would need to know the password to void out a transactions.

Technically it is possible for the program to sense when the cash drawer is closed, sometimes. However every printer or serial cash drawer uses a different method to signal the computer that the cash drawer has been closed. I would have to code the program to read the code from each specific printer and cash drawer and since I do not have any of them I would have no way to test it. So it looks like this will not be a feature of the program.

Dale

arcovine
Forum Regular

Post by arcovine » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:42 am

Umm, what I meant was the Void feature in the Purchase screen. You know the one that you have to press F5 key, where you can void 1 line or whole transaction? That's the Void I mentioned before.

Case example: Not all customers care about receipt, especially in small restaurant. Some of them would just ask the cashier, "how much?" And then the cashier tell the customer the cost they should pay. After payment, they'd just leave without asking for receipt.
Now that could be an advantage for the cashier to void the whole transaction after the customer paid, without printing any receipt. That way, the transaction won't be recorded.

Therefore, is there anyway to turn-off or maybe record that kind of void?

As for the cash drawer case, I see. Thank you very much for your help :)

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:31 am

VNics,

There is no way to prevent a partial sale void. I have been thinking about writing a partial sale void to the journal without a transaction number of course. I may think on it some more.

Dale

IAN
Forum Regular

Post by IAN » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:08 pm

well it seems like you should have it with a transaction number as at one time it was going to be a transaction! safty is better
IAN

(Everything i say is a lie! so am i telling you the truth?)

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:25 pm

Nope, if it is not completed it is not a transaction.

Dale

arcovine
Forum Regular

Post by arcovine » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:34 am

Oh, okay.

Humm, I think I've seen a receipt from a local supermarket where they have a partial sale void. I think I have to look for it somewhere..

Oh btw Mr. Dale, there's a problem with the program right now. It sometimes closed by itself without us pressing any key. It just suddenly disappeared, and then we have to run the program again. Sometimes it closed down 4-5 times a day.
I wonder what's wrong with it?

It didn't affect the transaction or report though, just a bit bothersome.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:20 pm

VNics,

Except for this one there have been no other reports of version 7.0 or later just shutting down while doing nothing. Are you running this program full screen under XP or Vista?

Dale

arcovine
Forum Regular

Post by arcovine » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:06 am

Yep, we're running it full screen under XP.
But sometimes it closed down while we're entering the food order too, or when we're about to print the receipt.

arcovine
Forum Regular

Post by arcovine » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:17 am

Hey there people, Happy late New Year to you all :D

Oh btw, there's another thing that I'd like to ask. Is there any option to turn on digit grouping? Like for example 10,000? Because in Indonesia, the currency nominal could reach up to hundred of thousands rupiah. And is there any way to show currency in front of the price on the receipt? For example Rp 10,000?

Thanks again in advance :)

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:29 am

VNics,

Try running the program in a window and see if it is less prone to die.

When you say "grouping" I assume you mean printing a number like 1,000,000 instead of 1000000? Nope, can't do that. The program supports values so large that they can fill all available space on the screen or receipt. Adding commas would make them even longer.

The above also applies to printing currency symbols before money amounts. Plus some currencies use symbols that are not supported in DOS, like the Euro symbol. So to be fair the program supports all currencies by supporting none of them. It just prints the value and everyone just has to assume that it for the local currency.

Dale