DHPOS Terminal Services (Citrix/Server 2008)

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

mmioperations
Occasional Poster
DHPOS Terminal Services (Citrix/Server 2008)

Post by mmioperations » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:52 pm

Does anybody know if the application will work with Terminal Services such as Citrix or Microsoft Server 2008 Terminal Server?

Andrew
Site Administrator

Re: DHPOS Terminal Services (Citrix/Server 2008)

Post by Andrew » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:13 pm

I don't see why not, but you'll never know until you try it out. We use Citrix MetaFrame at work, but it's the weekend here now so I can't check it out anytime soon.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

marine64
Forum Regular

Post by marine64 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:45 am

I don't know if this will help you but it will run (but slowly) under telnet in windows server 2008. It lacks the ability to pop open the cash drawer but it works. Need to have a printer setup on the server end depending on the telnet client you use.
http://www.xenocomp.com for all your tech needs.

cwathen
Forum Regular

Post by cwathen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:11 pm

I'm experimenting with trying to build a DHPOS store system with multiple computers running entirely over Telnet using a combination of the KpyM server and the PuTTY client. Speed doesn't seem to be an issue - even with several sessions open it's still responsive.

My thinking is that because no actual POS files are required for each computer, only the PuTTY client itself (and of course there is a basic Telnet client built into windows anyway), then it's much easier to change machines around in your POS system as and when required - if register A on your front counter suddenly decides it doesn't want to boot up one day, the actual program files are safe on your office server so you can simply draft in any old machine you have lying around and be up and running again. Similarly, because everything is on one computer (I've got a directory called C:\POSTEL with further directories for each register under that) then you can back up the ENTIRE system in one fell swoop.

Configuration is also much easier this way - because the whole system runs on a single physical machine and everything else just connects through a terminal, it makes no difference whether you make changes to 'Register B' from register B itself or from your office computer. If you're out on the shop floor and want to check what the entire store has done, you can simply log in to your global register from any computer on the network.

Also, because (in theory at least) it makes no difference at all whether the client connects to the host computer over your physical network or through the internet, it brings up the possibility of remote access (would probably move to SSH rather than telnet for this though). Now, if you're on a day off and realise that you should have amended a price on the system, you can do it from the comfort of your own home rather than have to go in to change it or try to phone it through. If you're creative with your stock table, you could even tentatively consider using DHPOS in a multi site environment.

So far I've got the telnet server set up to dump you at a C:\POSTEL> prompt upon login, and from then on I have to run each individual register. I'm in the process of creating a menu system (with passwords for sensitive things like the global register). Once this is finished the telnet server will go straight into the menu program, and upon exiting the menu it will log you out. This also brings with it much greater security because only people with access to the office server will have direct access to the program files, normal shop floor workers will have no way of accessing them.

The big thing I've yet to consider is how printing is going to work, that will come.

bob5731
Forum Regular

Post by bob5731 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi
I will test send files to crocker_2@att.net
P.S. God Loves You And Have A Good Day!!!
http://god5731.myftp.org/