Beta test version, new features

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Beta test version, new features

Post by daleadmin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:29 pm

I have uploaded a new version of the POS program for beta testing. Here is the documentation of the new features http://www.dhpos.com/pos702b1.pdf

This is a full download of all program files and the full documentation in REGISTER.DOC. Remember to change the filename to POS702B1.EXE so that you can run the file to extract the program files. You will want to make a new folder and copy all your current files into it. then download and extract in the new folder. This will leave your old folder the same.
http://www.dhpos.com/pos702b2.ex

Lets get some feed back on this as soon as possible so I can get the release version out there.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Beta test version, new features

Post by daleadmin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:00 pm

Here is a screen shot of a time card http://www.dhpos.com/clock.jpg

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:10 pm

Well today I set up a virtual network on my computer and found a whole bunch of problems. So the score so far on problems found in the BETA 1 is Dale = 8, all the other beta testers combined = 0.

In fact I have received absolutely nothing from any beta tester.

I have fixed everything I found and now we have BETA 2 here http://www.dhpos.com/pos702b2.ex

Remember to change the file name to pos702b2.exe before you try to run the program to unzip it.

Dale

Wes
Forum Regular

Post by Wes » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:56 pm

haven't had a chance to do to many tests, but i cant use the time clock. I use dos box to run dhpos and ctrl-f1 is a cmd to start a key mapper function. as far as i can tell there is now way to turn this off. any chance in changing the key needed to punch?
-Wes :O)

peewee3ie
Forum Regular

Post by peewee3ie » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:55 pm

I was testing the timeclock and I think I found a small bug the associate can clock in more that once so if he/she did not notice he/she would be out wages and it mite be hard to explane to the manager that it was a mistake.

Is there anyway you can stop a associate from going to the in with out filling in the out before it.

I nerly forgot another bug if you set the associate 1 with a pin of just one number as in "1" "2" the astrc does not show. It does for the rest of the associates.

this is on beta version pos702B2
Last edited by peewee3ie on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony McGuire
Ireland Support

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:57 pm

Wes,

I have changed the punch command to [CTRL] + [INSERT]

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:01 pm

Tony,

I do expect a limited amount of competency, very limited. Unfortunately this falls with in the limit.

Remember that I did not want to do this in the first place so this falls within the "tough cheese" area.

Dale

peewee3ie
Forum Regular

Post by peewee3ie » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:05 pm

Dale,

I know but I just though I would say something before some people start shouting. I as for one do not like timeclocks. I was just doing what I said I would test it
Tony McGuire
Ireland Support

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:10 pm

Appreciated

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:51 pm

Jon has finished the TRANSMIT program so this thing will get shoved out the door this weekend.

BTW, the transmit feature will require not only an internet connection to email or FTP the files but also Windows '95 or later. It will not function under DOS or Windows 3.1.

Sorry,
Dale

cwathen
Forum Regular

Post by cwathen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:00 pm

Would it be possible to have access to the Time Clock available as passworded function in order to restrict access to supervisors/managers to prevent staff from clocking other staff in/out?

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:44 pm

cwathen,

That is supposed to be the point of requiring the employee to enter their PIN number instead of just picking the name from the list.

I suppose that I could require that a supervisor enter his PIN number before the program will ask for the employee PIN number but how does the employee punch if the supervisor is not around?

Dale

cwathen
Forum Regular

Post by cwathen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:56 am

That is supposed to be the point of requiring the employee to enter their PIN number instead of just picking the name from the list.

I suppose that I could require that a supervisor enter his PIN number before the program will ask for the employee PIN number but how does the employee punch if the supervisor is not around?
The problem with the PIN system is that employees will inevitably share each others PINs around so that other people can clock them in/out to mask their hours.

I don't WANT employees to clock themselves in/out, I only want supervisors/managers to be able to access the timeclock, so that staff to HAVE to report to the supervisor/manager when they turn up from work to be clocked in and be specifically released by a supervisor/manager before they leave so that they get clocked out at the right time.

All you'd need to do is add a 'Timeclock Password?' option to the password option which if activated will be prompted for when you hit F5.

If you combine this with the supervisor menu you've allready got then you'd have a 3 tier system as regards to timeclock access:

A - No access at all
B - The ability to clock staff in/out at the current time but not to do any amendements
C - The ability to clock staff in/out at the current time AND to be able to 're-punch' if you need to alter things

And of course businesses who don't see a need for such security can turn all this off if they want to.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:09 pm

cwathen,

I assume that the supervisors all would have the password or why would they be supervisors? Therefore the simplist thing for me would be to just have a setting where you could require a supervisor PIN number to enter the program, or not. This would be much easier for me than a password and it would require both the supervisor and the employee to be there.

Since "simple for me" usually trumps all other considerations I am going to do it the way descibed above. I hope that the supervisors will not share their PINs or you need to choose different supervisors.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:50 pm

I have changed the time clock program so that you can go to the "Associates" feature of the time clock program ad press [F5] to require that a supervisor enters his PIN number to access the program. If no one has been assigned as a supervisor then a supervisor PIN cannot be required.

You must be careful with this. If the last supervisor quits, gets run over by a kid on a big wheel, or transported to an alternate universe then you will not be able to access the time clock. Well you could make a new employee use the same slot as a former supervisor, go to the "Employee setup" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program and delete the old PIN for that slot. Then have the new employee enter a new PIN in the POS.EXE program to make him a supervisor. But that is a lot of work.

Dale