Time clock can now end week on Sunday

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Time clock can now end week on Sunday

Post by daleadmin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:32 pm

I have changed the time clock program so you can end the week on Saturday or Sunday.

Here is the text that will be in the manual. Access this feature from the supervisors menu in the time clock program. Use option 6. Store # / Time display.

Here is where you may select Saturday or Sunday as the last day of the week. This should be the very first thing you do when using the “Time Clock” feature for the first time and then leave it alone if you can. Since the file name for each time clock file is derived from the last day of the week changing it will create a new file. For example if you were using Saturday as the last day of the week and the current file is 20090613.CLK and you change to Sunday, the current file will become 20090614.CLK, a totally different file. When the 20090614.CLK file is created data from the 20090613.CLK file will not be transferred over to the new file. This is one reason that when you change the “end of week” that you will automatically be returned to the “Cash Register” program and must re-enter the “Time Clock” program.

I am planning on a general release of the next version of the POS program this weekend. The two major new features will be the new PURCHASE program and the TIMECLOCK program. Also in keeping with my policy of no longer saving users from themselves, and due to constant kvetching, I have changed the program so that when you select any payment method it will fill in the amout due for you. No longer just when you select CASH. The next version will be 7.03.

But for the release of the next version to happen I need someone to check out the latest version 7.02c of the time clock program where you can select the last day of the week. (At the bottom of the window where you enter your PIN number it will say "Version 7.02c."

Here is the link http://www.dhpos.com/timeclok.exe

Get busy!

Dale

cwathen
Forum Regular

Re: Time clock can now end week on Sunday

Post by cwathen » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:33 am

THANKYOU DALE!!! It will make it much easier for me to reconcile the timesheets against the rota now I can get to a Monday-Sunday system.

I've tested the program on both a backup of the live system we've been using at work and also on a completely fresh install of DHPOS (running Windows XP). Firstly, for some reason on the punch in/out screen a little smiley face appears next to the employee's name (the one from the IBM extended ASCII character set).

On the fresh installation, apart from said smiley the timeclock seems fine, it defaults to the Sunday-Saturday layout and changing it to Monday-Sunday causes no problems with the files.

But on my 'real' installation (I've started with a copy of DHPOS initially running the previous update you issued to Timeclock, replaced with the new version), with 2 months were of timeclock data, it doesn't seem to cope very well with the change. The testing I've done was based on data from today, Sunday, which is the first day of the week on the current system. The file 06202009.CLK was created this morning for this week. When going into timeclock, it now defaults to Monday-Sunday layout. Timestamps for today allready entered before updating the timeclock program now appear in the entry for 8th June (last Monday). New timestamps appear on today.

From here I'm not sure how to report. The first time I went into setup I ended up with a new file called DHPOS.CLK, which if you tried to view would crash the program. I went back to the original files again, this time the 06202009.CLK file has changed to cover the dates Monday 15th June-Sunday 21st June.

I will spend more time trying to pinpoint what happens when you upgrade. It may have to come down to advising that you can't change the week end date on an in-place installation, or at least identifying a specfic day on which to do it (trying to change the day on a saturday to go to Monday-Sunday or on a Sunday to go Sunday-Saturday may work. Putting aside the upgrade issues, if you can get rid of that smiley I can't really find any problems

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Time clock can now end week on Sunday

Post by daleadmin » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:53 pm

cwathen,

I think I have solved all the problems you pointed out.

Try this http://www.dhpos.com/timeclok.exe

It will be labeled version 7.03x

Dale

Well at least you will not get any smileys. :)
except that one