Sending Escape Sequences

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

mrk85
Sending Escape Sequences

Post by mrk85 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:31 pm

Is there any way of sending an escape sequence to the COM Port for Serial Printers? For example, sending <ESC>4 WELCOME then an <ESC>5. My Serial Printer uses Escape Sequences to switch the color up and down, but I've yet to figure out the Escape Sequence in DOS. Please help.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Re: Sending Escape Sequences

Post by Dale Harris » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:04 am

mrk85,

There are two problems here. First of all it is a serial printer. Please read this http://www.dhpos.com/discuss/phpbb3/vie ... ?f=1&t=607

Second, the program does not support things like font and font sizes, bold, italic, or underline, or colors becasuse these things have different control codes for each printer. I have a hard enough time just finding the control codes for popping open the cash drawer.

Sorry,
Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:39 pm

Dale,
You bear and endure the pain, difficulty, provocation, and annoyance of COM ports and Serial Printer questions with such calmness.
You have the patients of a saint.
Bless you...
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:20 pm

Bruce,

You do not know what I do after dealing with serial printer disasters.

I go into the other room and I am very rude to my cat.

Fortunately she does not care and basically ignores me.

But I feel better afterwards.

Dale