Feature request: Guest/ customer counter

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

oeb
Forum Regular
Feature request: Guest/ customer counter

Post by oeb » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:29 am

It would be nice to have a guest/ customer counter integrated in the POS program with the corresponding statistics. The counter could simply be incremented in steps by one or a specified number. It should also be possible to decrease the number if you entered to much by default. The counter would be reset each time you closed the register.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Re: Feature request: Guest/ customer counter

Post by Dale Harris » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:33 pm

oeb,

The program does count transactions and they are reset when you close the register. Is that what you mean?
Dale

oeb
Forum Regular

Post by oeb » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:28 am

No, sorry - should have been more specific. I want to keep a count of the number of customers/ guests to the store, i.e. a manual counter.

Dukane
Forum Regular

Post by Dukane » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:00 pm

I think he means something like guests per table. For example if a family of four comes into a restaurant, the number of guests is 4, but they are all under one transaction.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:46 pm

You want to count each person as they enter the store and then subtract them as they leave?

I have some questions...

Why would you want to do this?

Are you going to have someone stationed at the door just taking attendance? If you try to get the register clerks to do it I am sure they will miss customers going one way or the other.

Why would you want to do this?

In 8 years no one else has asked for this. Do you think that anyone else would need this feature?

And finally, why would you want to do this?
Dale

oeb
Forum Regular

Post by oeb » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:42 am

No, I want to keep the count of course. The subtract possibility would just be in case of error.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:51 pm

You will not need a computer program to do that since you can do it just by tossing pennies in a jar.

Sometimes the simplists solution is the best.
Dale

Wes
Forum Regular

Post by Wes » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:27 am

don't understand the need for this. the trans counter is all you'll be looking at a year from now looking at numbers.

oeb
Forum Regular

Post by oeb » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:21 am

The transaction counter is not really interesting for me since the same customer can make several purchases and I also don't want to include family members as guests (this is a small summer cafè on our farm so family members come and go all the time). The way I do this now is to count guests on a paper slip and enter this in a spreadsheet later. Often this paper slips is lying around for a while until I get around to enter them into the spreadsheet (especially since it's an old SuperCalc4 DOS spreadsheet that doesn't work very well with Windows anymore...). Anyway, I guess I will have to make a separate program for this myself - then I could also include more factors in the statistics.