Look up UPC codes

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dale Harris
Forum Owner
Look up UPC codes

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:13 pm

Here is a program that Brandon Crocker asked me to write. It will look up UPC codes from a 1,000,000+ database of codes and display the description of the item. This is pretty useless but strangely fun in a spooky sort of way.

If you want to give this a try you must download a database file from this site http://www.upcdatabase.com/downloads/ and then unzip the file. This is one big honking file.

Now you must download this file to the same folder http://www.dhpos.com/findupc.exe This is my program and you will not have to unzip it.

When you run my program it will take the database you downloaded (and unzipped) and create still another even larger file that is in random access format. This will allow the program to find the UPC codes very quickly. However depending on the speed of your computer the creation of the file could take a while. The new file is created only the first time you run the FINDUPC.EXE program.

Now you just enter the UPC codes into the FINDUPC.EXE program and it will display the description for that product.

That's it, it does not do anything else.

If anyone tries this out let me know what you think about it.
Dale

bob5731
Forum Regular

Re: Look up UPC codes

Post by bob5731 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:03 am

is anyone using it?