Second monitor as customer display

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Second monitor as customer display

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:11 am

Hello all.

I have got an early version of a program that will use a second monitor as a customer display. It can be downloaded from <LINK REMOVED BY DALE HARRIS>
It will evolve, but at the moment:
- It runs at 800x600 resolution.
- It will minimise after a few seconds when the sale has been completed, and will restore itself when the next sale begins. (I run a promotional Flash presentation in between sales).
- Normal sales appear in green text, refunds/returns in red.
- It requires no configuration.
- Unzip it to a new directory and create a shortcut to custdisp.exe, and set the "start in" directory to be the directory you are running DHPOS from.

Cheers! :)

PS - Before anyone asks, yes I have thought of displaying a complete list of all the items in a sale, that will happen when Dale gets a chance to add the functionality to dump void information to the pole.dat file, which I'm sure will come with time.

<HR>
CBL,

I removed the link above because it forwarded to a different site every time it was clicked and did not have anything to do with the program you mentioned. I assume that you entered the link incorrectly? At least I hope so and you are not trying to hijack the people here into some "clicks for pay" scheme.

cmputerman
Forum Regular

Huh?

Post by cmputerman » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:09 am

I just tried to click your link but it leads to a battery item.. :evil:
But the idea of a customer display would be great.

P.S. would your program be compatible with exporting to a TV (the TV out port is included with the videocard)?

Thanks

CBL

Post by CBL » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:17 pm

It seems FortuneCity decided to delete my account!? :x

Hopefully Netscape will provide a more reliable service:
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/pcpossw

cmputerman - Assuming the TV out can operate as a secondary display, I don't see why not.

BTW, be second monitor/second display, I mean that you have two video cards installed and working in the same computer.

Alan
POS Guru

for dual display...

Post by Alan » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:36 pm

Quick reminder that you need Windows 98 and above for dual display support (I know that some cards can support it under NT4 as well)

It seems that the most common cheap 2nd video card is the S3Trio64V+ PCI, Win98 has drivers for this card built in.

Alan

CBL

Post by CBL » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:28 pm

Update: If you want to show your logo on the customer display, copy a 145x145 bitmap into the program folder, and call it "logo.bmp"

The logo will be displayed in the top-left corner of the screen.