Hotel / RV Carvan Park Bookings

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

pie
Occasional Poster
Hotel / RV Carvan Park Bookings

Post by pie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:52 pm

Is there anychance we could come up with a Hotel / RV (Caravan) park system for taking bookings to be intergrated like the tickets feature. Room resevations etc

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Hotel / RV Carvan Park Bookings

Post by daleadmin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:03 pm

Whatever happened to the new features that would take an hour / day / week to create? It now seems that everyone wants a feature that will carve out 3 months or more out of my life. It makes me long for the old days when several users tried to convince me that if they could not choose the foreground and background colors on each part of all and every screen in the POS program that all life on earth would end.

I guess they were correct on their part since I did not add that to the program and I have not heard from them in years, my condolences to their heirs.

But back to the topic at hand.

This would take a really long time to impliment. The first problem is that I would have to research reservations since I know nothing about that subject. Many people do not realize that before you write a program to do something that you have to know how to do the task manually without a computer. Any other option would require magic fairies and they are in short supply around here.

Then I would have to write the feature. The "ticket" feature required about 4-6 months and I can see that reservations would be about the same. However I am currently working on the customer accounts feature then probably X-Charge with a few more things in the pipeline. And who knows what will bubble to the top of the "think about it" pile while I am working on those things?

Maybe this feature will be ready in time for your grandchildren to use. Maybe sooner but not likely.

Dale

Wes
Forum Regular

Post by Wes » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:31 pm

Dale, I love reading your responses. LOL

Pie, Couldn't you use the ticket feature with assigned seats, for "rooms/lots"?
-Wes :O)

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:25 pm

Wes,

I think the problem with your suggestion is that you would have to sell a "ticket" for each night. For example if you use the ticket feature to sell a ticket to a performance, the ticket is good from the time the performance starts until it ends. But if you use the ticket feature to rent a room how many nights is it good for? You would have to sell a ticket for each night, a real pain.

Plus a magic fairie just shot past my office on his way to some unknown chore and said, "Dale, that just scratches the surface of the problem. You have no idea the depth of what you would have to do for that feature."

I have a tendency to believe him. He was blue, and the blue ones usually know what they are talking about.

Dale

simonaus
Occasional Poster

Post by simonaus » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:58 am

Wes,

I don't know if you are still looking for a solution, but why not set your "POSCONFIG" settings to allow for parked sales for the number of rooms or allotments per night EG. allow 45 parked sales for 45 rooms or allotments). This will allow you to continually ring up the sales or nightly charges continually until a guests Checks-Out. The only problem I can see here is that you will need to keep a record somehow of the allotments/rooms left for the night or future nights. At least the sales screen and parked sales will be ready and up to date when a guest/guests check out - this means you can re-load the parked sale complete the check-out and you are all done! You will need to enter each allotment for each new night as a parked sale.

OPTION 2:
You could get around this by working backwards and only enter an allotment or 'parked sale' when the guest has checked-in so if the allotment is not listed in the parked sales screen then you know that that space/room is free and you can sell it! This may also work in your favour for double bookings as if the guests stays over a number of nights then you leave the sale parked, then you can't re-book that room! Double bookings may still occur so you will need to keep the parked names to a standard entry eg. RM101, RM102 ETC, so that you dont have two rooms booked as room 1 or allotment 1 and have a double booking!

Simon