DHPOS to start at computer startup?

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

cmputerman
Forum Regular
DHPOS to start at computer startup?

Post by cmputerman » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:46 pm

Is it possible to get DHPOS to start when the computer turns on?

I would like to do so if it is possible for my registers.

I would like to know how to do so for Win 98, and XP.

Thanks in advance!
cmputerman

smckane
Forum Regular

Post by smckane » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:11 pm

A simple way of doing this would be to create a link to DH-POS (right click on your icon, select "Creat shortcut" or "Send to... Desktop") and then drag this to the Startup folder on the Start menu. In theory this will run the link each time at startup for all versions of Windows including & after 95.

Please feel fre to correct me :-)

cmputerman
Forum Regular

I am going to try it!

Post by cmputerman » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:51 am

I am going to try it. I will post if it works.
[ :)

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:10 pm

smckane wrote:A simple way of doing this would be to create a link to DH-POS (right click on your icon, select "Creat shortcut" or "Send to... Desktop") and then drag this to the Startup folder on the Start menu. In theory this will run the link each time at startup for all versions of Windows including & after 95.

Please feel fre to correct me :-)
<HR>
Yes, This Should Work. Just put a shortcut to POS.EXE in the StartUp folder.

- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

anabus_maximus
Forum Regular

Complexity

Post by anabus_maximus » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:22 pm

If you really want to guarantee that it starts, you could add a string value to the 'Run' key in the registry, but that may be overdoing it.

If you want instructions, just post here, and I'll look again
Somewhere behind the athlete you've become, the hours of practice and the coaches who've pushed you, is the little boy who fell in love with the water and never looked back. Swim for him and no one else...

cmputerman
Forum Regular

Post by cmputerman » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:09 am

Works for Me!
Thanks alot guys! I will also try the registry option soon.

Thanks Again. :D

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Re: Complexity

Post by ChrisKraus » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:37 am

anabus_maximus wrote:If you really want to guarantee that it starts, you could add a string value to the 'Run' key in the registry, but that may be overdoing it.

If you want instructions, just post here, and I'll look again
<HR>
:!: This could be very dangerous for your computer if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

smckane
Forum Regular

Post by smckane » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:10 pm

Yes, fiddling with the registry can be dodgy, but in a case like this you could also say it's like taking a sledge-hammer to crack a nut :lol:

Why make life difficult? :-)

TchSupport

ME ME PICK ME

Post by TchSupport » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:29 pm

i am working on a new MSDOS.sys file so that when you turn ur computer on it will boot POS intead of windoze.

Good idea? i need to know b4 i gett real deep

-JDR
aka
Dil

sfrk001
Forum Regular

Post by sfrk001 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:23 pm

Actually, that is a bad idea, sometimes we use the computer for other stuff, and we need Windows.

cmputerman
Forum Regular

My Last Mistake

Post by cmputerman » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:56 am

I REALLY dislike messing with the registry! Last time, I screwed up my computer so bad, I couldn't boot into safe mode to do a System Restore!
:cry: :x

Anyways I have 6 words for you all:
Thanks for all of your suggestions!

:D

Tch Support

Dos

Post by Tch Support » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:59 pm

Okay so instead of registry we use an msdos.sys file, but some ppl dont like that.
what happens when you run POS in straight dos w/o windows, and close it?
do you get a dos prompt?
If so then we could make a new msdoa.sys file and if you wanted windoze you could, close the register and at the C:\> prompt, type "win" this will boot windows. Good idea now?

if not then what about a msdos.sys file that funs a batch file to give you the option of run the register or windows?

thaks,
Dylan
(JDR aka Dil)

smckane
Forum Regular

Post by smckane » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:30 pm

Why bother? This is a heck of a lot of programming for no gain (a file for this, a file for that, and another one just incase). I admit, in a pure DOS environment then yes, a line in the msdos.sys file is simple. From Windows 95 upwards it is a waste of your time - drag and drop a link into the 'start up' folder and it's sorted! However, each to their own :-) I think it was andrewbunn in a different thread who put it that he hates running POS in a DOS box in Windows, whereas that's the way I prefer it (faster access to Solitare :D )
Thanks for all of your suggestions!
You are more than welcome! That's what we're all here for :-)

Stewart

suamme1
Occasional Poster

Post by suamme1 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:09 pm

In my case, I run a stripped down dos system and have it boot directly to POS. I have a very old box I'm running this off of (non-profit, Boy Scout Camp) and I don't want my employees running games (non-existant, but there's no chance at all). I use the autoexec.bat file to run at startup.

It only works in pure DOS though.

anabus_maximus
Forum Regular

Post by anabus_maximus » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:09 pm

I use the autoexec.bat file to run at startup.
I think that that is the best solution. You could even have it boot windows after you exit the pos.
Somewhere behind the athlete you've become, the hours of practice and the coaches who've pushed you, is the little boy who fell in love with the water and never looked back. Swim for him and no one else...