To tax, or not to tax... entire sale with a single key

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

brucef2112
Forum Regular
To tax, or not to tax... entire sale with a single key

Post by brucef2112 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:18 pm

Hi Dale,
I have a suggestion for an added feature to be incorporated into the F7 Change Tax key.
On the purchase screen, F7 allows the current item being rung up to have its tax rate changed if the cursor is in the Price or Quantity field (doesn't work if in the Discription field).

I would like to propose the idea that if the F7 key is pressed while the cursor is in the empty Stock Number field this would be a global tax change for all items in the sale to be changed to a zero tax rate, ie tax exempt. Currently if a sale has many items rung up and its determined that it is suppose to be tax exempt then the entire sale must be voided and rung up again with each item having its tax rate changed as it is re-rung up. Regardless of who didn't ask or didn't tell at the begining of the sale, this is frustrating for the both customer and clerk because the order needs to be rung up again. And I've seen the absolute frustration on other customers faces that are behind the current re-ring customer.

On the purchase screen with the cursor waiting at the empty Stock Number field, I would like to be able to hit the F7 key to toggle the sale to tax excempt. Maybe with a confirmation warning "Make entire sale tax exempt? Yes/No ". Or on screen and on the printed receipt mark it as tax exempt.

In my case I have a single tax of 6%. so this all seem simple. however I know that there are options for multiple taxes and if taxes are added on top of other taxes etc that may make this simple tax exempt feature a tangled mess to incorporate into DHPOS.

Awaiting your thoughts on this type of feature,
Bruce - - -
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: To tax, or not to tax... entire sale with a single key

Post by daleadmin » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:58 pm

brucef2112,

Are you aware that after you press [+] to total the sale and you are at the menu where you select the payment method (cash, check, credit, etc.) that if you then press [F7] and type anything into the entry box that will appear, that the entire sale will be tax exempt?

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:10 pm

Hey dale,
Didn't know It was there, cool! It seems a bit odd setting tax exempt afteryou are selecting a payment method. I think it would be more intuitve for someone to choose setting tax exempt anytime before getting to the payment method. but it sure beats a re-ring and F7 each item.

thanks dale,
bruce - - -
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:33 am

Well, no, you've not necessarily yet selected a payment option. Pressing "+" subtotals the sale and begins the process of finishing it off, you've rung everything up and are going to accept tender from the customer - so in my mind, it seems the obvious place to be able to make the entire sale tax exempt. If you were able to access this function during the process of ringing up items, it could give the impression that you're only applying that tax exempt status to particular items, or perhaps only on items up to the current line.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Ok, this makes sense. I now see why this seemed strange. In my case, my POS is set up with Cherry Programmable Keyboards which have macros asigned to keys for Cash, Credit, Check, etc. So in my world, when I select a method (using my KB) it kind of is the end of the transaction. However using the + key as you outlined makes alot of sense as it relates to the F7.

thanks,
bruce - - -
Later,
Bruce