POS version 5.05 released

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dale Harris
Forum Owner
POS version 5.05 released

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:48 pm

POS version 5.0 has been released. And then POS version 5.02. And then POS version 5.03. http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm

YOU MUST CLOSE OUT YOUR REGISTER & RESET SALES TOTALS TO ZEROS BEFORE USING THE NEW VERSION.

REMEMBER TO MAKE BACKUPS FIRST.

The new features are that the "credit" pay method has been split into credit and debit and that information for a pole display is being sent to a disk file. Jon is working on a program that will actually send the information to the pole display so this feature is kind of useless until that is done.

Version 5.03 has additional support for serial cash drawers.

Three bug fixes in version 5.01

When the program was used without an associate list and customer info was taken before the sale, then after parking a sale and starting a new sale the program did not ask for the new customer's information. Reported by Tarah.

When used on a network the register letter did not appear after the transaction number on the journal file. Reported by Brian.

When a phone number was the first line used when accessing "Customer info" the program would die what you tried to edit a customer's information. Reported by Tim.

Two bug fixes in version 5.02

When using the program from the global folder and having "Payouts" turned on, at the main menu you would have an option of "/ Payouts" which should not be there. Reported by Brian. Fixed in version 5.02

If PIN numbers were required and with "Return after sale" set to "The next sale" of you voided out a return or payout and were returned to the main menu, when you went to the next sale your were not asked for your PIN number. Reported by Andrew. Fixed in version 5.02.
Last edited by Dale Harris on Sun May 02, 2004 5:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Dale

Andrew
Site Administrator

Possible bug...

Post by Andrew » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:43 am

A possible bug, reproduction steps:

In this exercise payouts are enabled and there are three Payout stock numbers in the stock table (9001, 9002, 9003), employee PINs are also active and there is a password on the returns feature.

<LI>Access "Returns/Payouts" from the main menu.
<LI>Select "2. Payout" from the sub-menu.
<LI>Entered the password, then an employee PIN.
<LI>Entered 9002 as stock number to select Payout item.
<LI>Entered amount of 20.00, quantity 1.
<LI>Pressed [+] to subtotal, then [TAB] to bypass customer info entry.
<LI>Pressed [F5] to void the payout, was returned to the menu.
<LI>Selected "Purchase" from the main menu, wasn't prompted for an employee PIN.

Bug: was able to access the purchase screen without a PIN (if in the rare occurence someone voided a payout or return from the tender screen). :twisted:

Suggestion: I find being able to hit F5 and a transaction disappears a little scary, I know most users will "be careful" but wouldn't a "Are you sure?" prompt be useful here (in any Void situation)? :)
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Very good

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:00 pm

Andrew,

As you can see above your bug has been squished.

I must congratulate you on your presentation of the problem. You told me where it was, how your configuration file was set up, and the steps you took get to the problem. A textbook example of how to do it. Following your notes, it was no problem to find out what was causing the bug.

Now teach everyone else how to do it. :)
Dale

chasmit
Forum Regular

Excellence

Post by chasmit » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:08 pm

You Forum Members might get tired of my
posts.
But the way you people operate is just great.
A team effort that gets real
quick effective results.
Try calling a big corporation with a question
or an observation.
Thanks Dale et Ux.
Last edited by chasmit on Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:11 am

Thanks Dale 8)
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

New feature in version 5.05 of POS

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:15 pm

Print additional alternate transaction numbers.

Some countries require a two part transaction number. The actual transaction number is reset to zero when the register is closed and starts the next day at "1". The second part of the transaction number counts the number of times the register has been closed. So today the transaction numbers may be 2687-1, 2687-2, 2687-3, 2687-4... and tomorrow the transaction numbers will be 2688-1, 2688-2, 2688-3, 2688-4...

This program will now do this. Use "Printer setup" setup feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program to turn on the printing of these new transaction numbers on your receipts. These new transaction numbers are in addition to the old transaction numbers and if you choose to print them both the old and the new transaction numbers will be printed. The new numbers will be printed on the left side of the dashed line that is printed after the header. The new numbers will also be printed in the journal file.

Both numbers will reset to 0 after they reach 30,000 so if you have more than 30,000 sales on ONE register in a single day or use this register for more than 82 years, assuming that you close out the register only once a day, this could be a problem.
Dale

barryhart1

transaction numbers

Post by barryhart1 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:36 am

i like this idea alot.

this also keeps track of how many transactions/ customer come in each day.

nice!

although, i might like the provision of a continual transaction number from day 1.

(i want to know who my 1,000,000th customer is!) :D

baz

Robert_Nel
Forum Regular

Download problem

Post by Robert_Nel » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:26 pm

Hi I cannot seem to be able to download version 5.05. Is there a problem
Robert R Nel

peewee3ie
Forum Regular

Post by peewee3ie » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:46 pm

No. I have downloaded pos version 5.05 without ant problems