Direct Access

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

RollerBall
Forum Regular
Direct Access

Post by RollerBall » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:05 am

I'm trying to set up a pole display to run in DOS. What the heck is 'direct access' and where can you get it assuming it's still available somewhere?

It seems I need it because POLE.EXE is a WIN32 program and cannot be run in DOS mode.

Thanks

Dukane
Forum Regular

Re: Direct Access

Post by Dukane » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Direct access is not a program it literally means what it says. Having it selected gives DHPOS direct access to your COM port versus using POLE.EXE.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:42 pm

Dukane is correct. However versions of Windows after '98 will not allow DOS software like my cash register program to access the serial port so do not try using Direct Access unless you are running the program from DOS. MAYBE it will work under Windows versions 3.1, '95, and '98 but I would not bet the farm on that.

Dale

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:14 am

Ak, OK. So this means you can't run a pole display if you run DHPOS in DOS mode. I tried and the system just stalled completely on boot up. I'll try again with the pole and a different printer and see what happens.

PS I was confused as there used to be a DOS program called Direct Access but you've got to be old enough to remember. I do but I never used it :?

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:55 am

Rollerball,

You can use direct access from DOS, that is what it is for. However you must have a pole display actually pluged into the correct serial port when you start DHPOS. If you do not, the program will lock up while it is trying to access the nonexistant pole display when DHPOS starts.

Dale

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:00 am

Dale, It was the printer I didn't have plugged in and I hadn't cfg'd to remove it so that was almost certainly the problem. I haven't had a chance to try again yet but I'll let you know how I get on. I've had this pole display for months and have never tried it out so I'm hoping it will work OK.

Regards,

Roger

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:30 am

Hi again Dale, it was an Epson DM-D105. This time I ran it with a Star parallel printer. The system didn't hang or anything but the pole display output was gobbledeygook. Probably the settings which I set the same as for an Epson serial printer but as I haven't got time to sort it out I've abandoned it. The p/supply I was using for it has got to go off with an Epson printer anyway and I don't have a spare at the moment.

Best wishes

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:40 am

Rollerball,

If you really want a pole display the best and cheapest option is still the Pertelian X2040 http://keyhut.com/pertelia.htm

Although it will require Windows '98 or later.

Dale

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:33 pm

:)
Yep, thanks. I'll maybe have another go when I've got what I know are the correct port settings.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:22 pm

Rollerball,

With the X2040 you do not need to know the port settings since it is a USB device.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: Pertelian X2040

Post by brucef2112 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:25 pm

Pertelian X2040...Great product!

Rollerball,
Why do you hate yourself so much as to suffer with that which does not work?!!?!?

Follow the word of Dale God, he will not lead you wrong.
I have 3 of the Pertelian X2040 and they rock! Two are on my registers at work. One at home.
This is a great enhancement to DHPOS.

Thanks for your efforts Dale and ForeSight Systems LLC (Alex).
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759