POS version 7.04 released 1-16-10.

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Re: POS version 7.04 released 1-16-10.

Post by daleadmin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 am

Well here is another handy [F4] program and an attempt to cut down on my emails. Here is the description...
==============================================
This program helps you to count out the cash drawer. You type in the number of each coin and bill and the total will be added up for you. That total will be compared to the 'Cash in drawer' figure from the closing report to give you an over / short amount.

Of course to get an accurate over / short amount, running this program must be the last thing you do before closing the register.

You must now set up this program by entering the type of coins and bills valid in your location. This program will only track one type of currency. If your register takes multiple forms of currency you cannot use this program.

You may print out the figures from each drawer closeout and those figures will be saved to a text file that can be loaded into any word processing program.

If this program is started by pressing [F4] from the main menu of the POS.EXE program you will go straight to the screen where you enter the number of coins and bills and will skip the setup menus.
==============================================
When you start the program directly it will offer you the options of Setup, Count, or Quit.

"Setup" lets you enter the different coins and bills in your location and their values. It also lets you choose to display the "Cash in reg." value and calculate the over/short. You can also choose to print the form and / or save the form. (NOTE: The program is not done, forms will not be saved yet.)

"Count" allows you to enter the count off each coin and bill in the register and adds them all up for you.

"Quit" quits.

If you start the program from the main menu of the POS program by pressing [F4] you will go directly to the "Count" feature and then return to the main menu of the POS program.

I wil finish the "Save" feature tomorrow.

Take a look at this and let me know if you want anything changed or added because after I finish this it will be a long time before I will return to it.

Does anyone have any ideas for additional [F4] programs?

Dale

Oops, I almost forgot. Here is the download link http://www.dhpos.com/closecnt.exe

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:53 pm

The final version of the CLOSECNT.EXE program has been uploaded to the same link above.

A few additional points...
1. The document is saved in the sub directory to your POS directory.
2. It will have the file name of CC100127.TXT where the numbers are the date in YYMMDD format.
3. The file is appended meaning that if the program is used multiple times on the same day that all documents will be saved to the same file.
4. The "NEXT TRANS." is printed on the form and that should be the same number as the closing receipt.
5. If used on a network the letter following the transaction number will be the register letter.
6. The full PATH to the file will be printed on the bottom of the printed form.
7. You can now print 0, 1, or 2 forme to the printer.
8. This was not as easy as I thought it would be. Endless details.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:20 am

hi Dale,
I've tested this and it works great!
I'll defntly be using this at my store. Understanding the open and close of the register/day seems to be the most confusing part for my employees. I would think this utility will help them understand the goal of open/close process.

I would like to request a feature for this utility. Can this be worked into the program to work on the First opening of the register for the day? That way it can be used to count the til in the morning so the employee can enter the opening draw amount. Or have the utility just take the total from the count and make it the opening cash count. If the register was restarted after the "First Open Of the Day" the register would just open as it currently does, just asking for the opening cash amount.

If this can be done within the program on startup then the Save to file would mark the 'first' as the open til and the last as the close til.?

If this can't be done in the DHPOS program itself can you please add a command line switch for the CLOSECNT.EXE. This is so it operates as it does from inside the POS with the F4 key. ie no setup, just runs.

If it has a command line switch, say /R, to just run the money count I can then use this in my POS startup batch file. I'd have the batch check for the current date on a POS system file to determin if its the "First Open Of the Day". The batch file would run the closecnt.exe if it doesn't find the current datestamp or if it does it would just run the POS.EXE

THANKS,
Bruce
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:24 am

Bruce,

You can run the CLOSECNT.EXE program whenever you want to, including the first thing in the morning. This program is designed to work with the [F4] key and if you run it that way it will only allow you to do a count, you will not be able to get into the setup, and then you will be returned to the main menu of the POS.EXE program. If you do it when you open the register the transaction number on the slip will be the one after the opening receipt. That way you can tell that it was done before the first trasaction was rung.
If you save the slips to a file then all the slips created on any one day will be in the same file. That way you can see which one was in the morning, if any were done during the day, and which one was done last. By comparing the transaction numbers and times on the slips in the file to the transaction numbers and times from the journal you can tell when they were done.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Dale,
The trans # stuff make perfect sense. And it all makes sense for the closing count.
What I wanted is an opencnt. I want to have employees use this before the register program prompts for the 'Enter Opening Cash Fund' when the program starts. As it is now you have to be at the main menu to run the CLOSECNT.EXE program and you can't get back to the 'Enter Opening Cash Fund' without shutting down the register and restarting to enter the Opening cash fund.

If this can't be incorporated into the program then being able to start the CLOSECNT.EXE with a switch (say /R for run) within a batch file would run the CLOSECNT program without showing the setup to the employee would be OK. So passing the /R switch would cause the CLOSECNT.EXE to function similar as it does with the F4 within the program however it runs outside of the register program and doesn't show the setup. Having the /r switch would allow this to function as an OPENCNT so to speak, as well as a CLOSECNT.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:58 pm

Dale,

If you go to the "7. Close" screen then choose option 2 you can then change the opening cash fund and press [ESC] to return to the program without actually closing the register.

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:19 pm

Great information about going to the 'Close Register' to update the 'Starting Cash Fund'. I was still hoping for an "OPENCNT.EXE" kind of solution for the starting cash fund.
Later,
Bruce

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Bruce,

In order to go directly to the "Count" feature of the CLOSECNT.EXE program the batch file would have to create a POSCONFG.DAT file which would contain only the register file name (without the .POS extension.) However when you end the CLOSECNT.EXE program the POS.EXE program would start taking you directly to the main menu bypassing the opening prompts and other things. Some of those "other things" are pretty important especially on the first day of the month.

So if you want to run the CLOSECNT.EXE program before the "Enter opening cash fund" prompt in the POS.EXE program then have your batch file run the CLOSECNT.EXE program first then the POS.EXE program after.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re:CLOSECNT.EXE feature request-Add cutter code

Post by brucef2112 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Dale,
I now love the closecnt.exe
If you would, I'd like to request the closecnt include the receipt print options as found in POSCONFG.

Can you add to the CLOSECNT setup to include the advance X lines and cutter code configuration OR change it so it picks up the same setting as in the regular receipt print configuration in POSCONFIG so the closecnt print-out will advance x lines and auto-cut the same for regular receipts is so configured in POSCONFG.

thanks Dale,
Later,
Bruce