why dhpos only support 13000 item and 60 transaction..

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

eric75200
why dhpos only support 13000 item and 60 transaction..

Post by eric75200 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:12 pm

hi
i am curious why dhpos only support 13000 product item
and when make pos sale transcation onlysupport60 item
any method to solve it.
cos my product item about 25'000
and pos sale about 150item per receipt.
i am running grocery business
thanks

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: why dhpos only support 13000 item and 60 transaction..

Post by daleadmin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:10 pm

eric75200,
The program limit of 13,000 stock items is there because the program becomes unstable when trying to sort more than that number to make reports. Also the stock number list is kept in memory (sort of) so that when it needs to find an item in the stock table it is almost instantaneous, In QuickBASIC there is not enough available memory to store more.

I had to set some limit on the number of lines in a sale since each sale stored in the .REC file and the parking lot is stored as a random access file. This is so that you can pluck just one sale from a file without looking through the entire file. This means that each sale requires the same number of bytes to store no matter if it has only one line filled in or all the lines are filled, i.e. a 1 line sale requires the same amout of storage as a 60 lines sale. So if most of your sales are 1 to 5 lines you are using up a lot of disk space storing nothing. The program that this one is based on had a 60 line limit and that seemed to me to be adequate without being excessive for most uses , so I went with that. However if I was to increase it to 200 lines I am sure that I would still receive requests for 400 lines. You can't win.

So there is no way around 13,000 / 60 and this program is probably not viable for a large grocery, book, or hardware store.

Sorry,
Dale