Why I am not on Facebook.

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Why I am not on Facebook.

Post by daleadmin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:13 am

I generally do not join things, especially things that I cannot check out first. I cannot look at Facebook until I sign up for it, I will not join Facebook until I can view it and see what the deal is. Sort of a "Catch 22" there. After all I do not know if I can un-join if I do not like what I see there.

This may be a pretty pathetic reason for my not signing up for something that apparently 100.2% of the population of the Earth is participating in, but there it is.

I do not expect Facebook to change their policy to allow me to poke around there for a while to just look, and they seem so far to be fairly fine with the idea of me not joining their club. I, on the other hand, find it very easy to resist the lure of someting I know little about. So we are both good with the idea of me being a non-member.

However I do receive requests from folks to be their "friend" on Facebook. This "invite" gives me two options; 1. Become their friend (is a beer involved?), 2. Tell them to "kiss-off." I do not understand the first option and the second option seems to be pretty rude. So I do nothing. I would like to explain that I do not know what being their Facebook friend means, but that is not an option. So I just delete the email and get on with my life.

Then I get about 7 more emails from the same person asking me to be their friend. They get pretty needy after the first 4 or 5 but eventually they give up, or die of despair. I never find out which since the invite never gives me their email address so I can check. And I can't check their Facebook page to see if they are OK, because Facebook will not let me in.

So you can send an invite to me to become your Facebook friend but please do not take it hard when you do not hear back from me. I am sorry but I have no way to send you an email to tell you that I do not belong to facebook. I am probably the last living human on the internet that is not a member. Well it had to be someone, why not me?

However if you are Facebook and do have some way for me to look around without my touching anything for a short while then send an email to daleharris@prodigy.net to tell me how. But don't do anything special, I am fine without joining.

Dale

arcovine
Forum Regular

Re: Why I am not on Facebook.

Post by arcovine » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:10 am

maybe create a DHPOS group? so people who recognize/use the software can be a fan of the group.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:33 am

See, I do not know what a Facebook group is, since Facebook will not let me on to look and learn. Please do not start one for me because I would never be able to visit.

Dukane
Forum Regular

Post by Dukane » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:15 am

Hi Dale,

If you do sign up, you ARE able to close your account if you later decide you don't like it.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:03 pm

Dukane,

That eases a minor point of my concern. But I still want to just be able to look at something before I join it. It makes you wonder what they have to hide? :mrgreen:

Dale

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:02 am

You can close your account afterwards, however they've been (and continue to be) under fire for poor privacy policies - which (unless they've recently changed) were pretty much "we own everything you put on our site, and we don't promise to delete it if you decide to leave" as far as I understand.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 am

Dale,

You are definitely not alone in not being a facebook member.

I joined to check it out, but to be honest, I find it a waste of very precious time and energy.

Your forum is more important and much more about what you do and who you are.

ToPS

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: Why I am not on Facebook. either....

Post by brucef2112 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Heres their latest change to their frequently changing privacy policies.
Facebook now lets app makers request access to your phone number and address.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/17/technol ... k_privacy/
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg makes it sound like everyone is "just happy as can be" to share their info; and should.

no thanks....
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

emery
Forum Regular

Post by emery » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:49 am

Dhpos does now have a page (ran by me) http://facebook.com/dhpos

DSC "Dhpos Self Checkout" Is currently being worked on again, the new site is at
http://dhpos.midislandsnoblazers.ca

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Totally against my will, I am now temporarily on facebook. I am not a happy camper.

However, since it seems as though Emery has abandoned the http://facebook.com/dhpos I will be posting updates there while I am still a member.

After that it will go dormant again unless Emery rejoins the fold.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:48 am

There is now a Facebook page for DHPOS at https://www.facebook.com/Dale-Harris-Ca ... 050929811/