Inconsistent barcode scans

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

kaput1982
Inconsistent barcode scans

Post by kaput1982 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:04 pm

I'm running two networked registers. One of them has Win98 the other Ubuntu 10.04 (32 bit). I've got the latest version of Dosbox, and POS 7.04f. When scanning items on the Linux machine I will randomly loose part of the barcode. For example if the number is 123456 some times it will scan in as 12456. This only happens when I'm actually in the POS program. I can scan items into gedit, or the dosbox command line and get the correct number (same item, scanned multiple times aka the barcode itself is fine). I've tried switching scanners from the Windows computer to the Linux one and that has made no difference (things scan just fine in Windows). Has any one else had this problem, and if so is there a fix?

Dukane
Forum Regular

Re: Inconsistent barcode scans

Post by Dukane » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:08 pm

There seems to be a problem with the DOS emulation package you are using. Maybe there is a setting in there to do with key press frequency.

kaput1982

Post by kaput1982 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:52 pm

Like I said, at the Dosbox command line things were working just fine. I could scan the barcodes and the correct numbers appeared (along with a command not found error of course). Any who the problem seems to have gone away. I have no idea why. If it comes up again I'll post it. Maybe the computer was just having a bad day.

jake69
Forum Regular

Post by jake69 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:14 am

Hi,

Have the same problem. Tried everything I could think of, but gave up barcode scanning in the end. Please let me know if you find a solution.

Best regards,

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:02 pm

In the example given; dropping a digit in the middle of the barcode. It seems this may be a processor time share issue. In the Windows world there is an adjustment for "Idle Sensitivity" and CPU priority for running programs. It could be that as the number is being passed from the scanner that the OS (or DOSbox whatever) is idle for the register program to share the CPU time and drops the number. I know nothing about Linux OS but if there is a way to force more processor time or CPU priority to the register program this may be a solution.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

jake69
Forum Regular

Post by jake69 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:21 am

BTW, I am running DHPOS on a fast machine with windows xp and got the same problem. If any solution is reported, I am still interested...

Best regards,