Help!!!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Spamprincess16
Occasional Poster
Help!!!

Post by Spamprincess16 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:02 pm

My name is Dayna, and I am super interested in using this program, but I can not seam to switch the file to .EXE!!! I have gone through the instructions about 20 times, and cant seam to get it to open, or change file status. I am trying to run it on Windows Vista, Is there a special program I need to run in on? Thanks in advance for the help! :-)

Dukane
Forum Regular

Re: Help!!!

Post by Dukane » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi Dana,

After you download the file, click on it and then press the F2 key on your keyboard. Then type "pos.exe" That should do it. If you have trouble, let us know...

Spamprincess16
Occasional Poster

Post by Spamprincess16 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:41 pm

I keep doing that, and its changing the name of the file, but not the file type! :-/ Is there another way to do it? also, what program should I try opening it up in?

Spamprincess16
Occasional Poster

Post by Spamprincess16 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:28 pm

So I just went ahead and got DosBox....I still cant figure it all out! Im soooooo lost, and Im really wanting to check out this program!

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:39 pm

I am assuming that the windows feature "My Computer" is not displaying the extensions part of the file names.

To change that use "My Computer" to display the folder. Click on [Tools] on the menu bar. Then click [Folder options] then the [View] tab. In the list that will appear find "Hide extensions for known file types" and uncheck it. Now click [Apply].

The file name for the file you downloaded will now be displayed in "My Computer" as pos704f.ex and you will be able to change it to pos704f.exe

Dale

Dukane
Forum Regular

Post by Dukane » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Ok try this:

1. Open My Computer
2. Click the Organize button on the toolbar, and then choose Folder and Search Options.
3. Click on the View tab.
4. Make sure that "Hide extensions for known file types" is NOT checked.
5. Try to rename the file again!

Let us know if that fixes it for you!

Spamprincess16
Occasional Poster

Post by Spamprincess16 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:47 pm

Oh my goodness!!! You are my hero!!! yay....haha now I just have to figure out how to open it! :-D Thanks a bunch!

Spamprincess16
Occasional Poster

Post by Spamprincess16 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:56 pm

wow, now its not opening! It keeps trying to open, then something comes up...all different windows. dosbox is getting to the point where it should open, but keeps asking if I want to overwrite each thing, then when it gets to the last one, it says there is a problem and it cant open....any tips?

Spamprincess16
Occasional Poster

Post by Spamprincess16 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:08 pm

In DosBox, it asks if I want to overwrite each file, then at the end it says "PKSFX: File has a bad table"

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:56 pm

Spamprincess came to chat and we got the problem solved.

Dale