Source Code

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

cdcarter
Source Code

Post by cdcarter » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:43 am

Dale and friends,
Are you going to relese the QBASIC source code for DHPOS and other programs. They are very good programs and a person learning QBASIC could bebefit by seeing the code.

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Re: Source Code

Post by ChrisKraus » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:59 pm

cdcarter wrote:Dale and friends,
Are you going to relese the QBASIC source code for DHPOS and other programs. They are very good programs and a person learning QBASIC could bebefit by seeing the code.
<HR>
I don't think Dale wants anyone to have access to the source code because if someone knew it, they could figure out things like how the passwords are encrypted and then people could figure out how to hack the program. Also, If you are learning QBASIC, this might be a little complicated for a beginner.

- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

cdcarter

Post by cdcarter » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:18 pm

I did not mean it as like a very new person but a person who has knowledge in QBASIC and would like to expand their knowledge. I my self have limited knowledge and I have found that the best way to learn any language is to see other code and mimic it and change it how you see fit. It can help you learn new methods and new commands all together.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:39 am

I was going to type a lengthy response (What's new? everyone thinks) but I am in a lazy mood and seeing as people forget to check the Old Archives, I would post a link to just one of the same questions in the archive:

http://return.no-ip.org/n54/index45/1024160632.html

That will answer this question - yet again.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

cdcarter

Post by cdcarter » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:02 am

That makes perfect sense. Thanks anyway.

GAWG
Forum Regular

Post by GAWG » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:13 am

Check out sourceforge.net ....

About sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_d ... group_id=1

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Why?

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:50 am

Gawg,

That is a big site, what am I supposed to be looking for?
Dale

GAWG
Forum Regular

Post by GAWG » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:27 pm

Sorry for not explaining it ....

That link explains the "About Sourceforge" page. It is owned by the same people that bring you slashdot.org [I'm sure nearly everyone around here has been there before]

Sourceforge is basically a free place for people who develop software to manage it. They have various services they offer and probably have at least a thousand or so open source projects on it.

For example, type in POS and see what comes up. These are all projects like yours but with an open source, collaborative effort. The software is protected by open source licensing.

Just in case you (or others) aren't familiar with open source and associated projects.