Printing to CR280 Plus model Cash Register

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

jacquesj
Occasional Poster
Printing to CR280 Plus model Cash Register

Post by jacquesj » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:58 am

I have a CR280 Plus Cash Register image sample(http://www.bmcinc.co.jp/product/regi-data/cr280.html)
Is it possible to print to the Printer, and eject the Drawer from my PC using VB.net.
If so how do you do it. (Using windows XP) your assistance will be of great appreciation.
Regards Jacques

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Printing to CR280 Plus model Cash Register

Post by daleadmin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Jacques,

Hard to say. I know nothing about that unit. Can you connect it to your PC? What port will you connect it to? Are you just going to connect just the printer and cash drawer? Does the cash drawer connect to the printer?

Does this help? http://keyhut.com/popopen2.htm

Dale

jacquesj
Occasional Poster

Post by jacquesj » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:06 am

Hi Dale,

Thank you for your response,

I currently do not have access to it, my Aunt Runs a Take Away shop, using a CR280 Cash Register.
I will only be able to use it later this month during shutdown, as they run their shop 7 days a week.Only then will i be able to try out the items in the link you provided.

I have got a VB.net background interacting with serial scanners, but not with Cash Registers.
To answer your question: I will be connecting to it via Serial, and would like to manipulate and print to the Receipt printer as well as trigger the Drawer to Open.

I am busy writing a mini POS system for her, predominantly for reporting and Stock control (using MS Access).

I did a bit of research:
The receipt printer of the cash register is an EPSON M-780 model, and i noted that there are drivers for it.
The Drawer is a 5B8C model.

My understanding is that if i connect Cash Register to a PC (via RS232 serial) and install the drivers for EPSON M-780, then it should work.
Does the Receipt Printer in turn then trigger the Drawer?
(Let me know if you would like a copy of the Program)

Thanks again for your Response

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Jacques,

The receipt printer opens the cash drawer if the cash drawer is attached to the printer. If the cash drawer is attached to the computer then the printer will not open the cash drawer.

If it is the first option then you have to send a control code to printer to make it open the drawer. While I do not have the code for an Epson M-780 printer the Epson printers do seem to use a limited number of different codes, many of which are listed on this page http://keyhut.com/popopen.htm

I am not certian what you are trying to do. From your posts I see 3 possibilities..

1. You are replacing the software in the CR280 Cash Register with your own.

2. You are going to plop a computer next to the CR280 Cash Register, run your software on that computer and attach a cable to the CR280 Cash Register and just use it as a printer and cash drawer.

3. You are going to remove the cash drawer and printer from the CR280 Cash Register and attach them to your computer that will be running your software.

Are any of these options correct or do you have a 4th one?

Dale

jacquesj
Occasional Poster

Post by jacquesj » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:20 am

Hi Dale,

You are spot on with Point #2, it is exactly what i am trying to achieve: . plop a computer next to the CR280 Cash Register, run your software on that computer and attach a cable to the CR280 Cash Register and just use it as a printer and cash drawer.

I just need to know if it is possible.
I guess i'll only know once i get access to the Cash Register.
Their last working day is the 23rd Dec. I'll give you an update just after then.

Thanks for your support!

vxlancin
Forum Regular

Post by vxlancin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:43 am

Hi,

I've been down this road before, and as far as i know, its not possible. Cash registers like the one you have are just electronics, no computer (as in having an OS or else) in them - so the printer on it will be hardwired straight to the circuit boards inside the till - same as the cash drawer. The serial port is used for getting data - most modern-ish cash registers can be connected to a computre and software is provided so that you can extract Z-Reads and X-Reads and other data but cannot be used to open the drawer and print. I think you should buy a cash drawer (which are really cheap now) and a printer (which are pretty cheap on ebay now) and hook them up to the PC. I mean, how would your counter look with a cash register and a PC being used doing seperate jobs?

vxlancin

jacquesj
Occasional Poster

Post by jacquesj » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:01 am

Hi Vx,

Thanks for your reply and Input.
I still would like to play around and see what i can get.

I do agree that the counter would look weird!, but at the moment we are a little tight with budget.

Thanks again for the feedback,

I will update you guys.

Regards
Jacques

jacquesj
Occasional Poster

Post by jacquesj » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:32 am

Hey Vx,

I had to come back and thank you with regards to recommending eBay.
That is an awesomely cheap shopping site (should you win the bid)!

I just completed registering,
I will update you guys further.

Thanks again!

Regards
J.