Well would you believe it!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Adam Ward
Occasional Poster
Well would you believe it!

Post by Adam Ward » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:40 pm

My bosses weren't all too keen on the idea of using a Free program, but after getting the estimate for the POS program our franchise uses, they have changed their minds!
Imagine this:
$4500.00 CA for a program where we have to use HIS touchscreens and HIS computers! The guy refuses categorically to use any other equipment but his! The first time he came, the software costed $1500.00, now, 3 weeks later, we're at $4500.00! :x PLUS, this would delay the opening of the restaurant another 3 weeks! :x Ridiculous if you ask me!

They finally saw POS in action today and LOVE it! They also love the fact that is free :lol: !

And we have gotten One model of Touchscreen to work properly with POS! the only thing is that if you run Windows, better have a PS2 port for your mouse, or else the mouse and the touchscreen hang!

Thanks to all of you for all the information you have provided here, and thanks also for all the help gotten! You guys rock!
Adam C. Ward
Valleyfield, Quebec, Canada

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Touch screen?

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:31 pm

Adam,

Are you sure that you got a touch screen to work with my POS program? Cash Register does not support either a mouse or a touch screen so I do not know how this is possible.
Dale

sfrk001
Forum Regular

Post by sfrk001 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:59 pm

There is a way to get your POS program to work with a touch-screen, works great :) (Windows XP Only) Click start > All Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > on Screen keyboard. This program is built in to Windows 2000, WIndows XP home and pro, and WIndows 2003 Server. You just tap "keys" on the touchscreen monitor and the computer will interpret it as a key-press. You dont even need to have a keyboard hooked up to the computer with this if your Bios allows it. One Downside though, if you have a windows login password, you have to make it auto login by removing the password.

GAWG
Forum Regular

Post by GAWG » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:39 am

sfrk001 wrote:There is a way to get your POS program to work with a touch-screen, works great :) (Windows XP Only) Click start > All Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > on Screen keyboard. This program is built in to Windows 2000, WIndows XP home and pro, and WIndows 2003 Server. You just tap "keys" on the touchscreen monitor and the computer will interpret it as a key-press. You dont even need to have a keyboard hooked up to the computer with this if your Bios allows it. One Downside though, if you have a windows login password, you have to make it auto login by removing the password.

you can also use Powertoys for XP which does auto logins at startup

:)

Adam Ward
Occasional Poster

Post by Adam Ward » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:16 am

Dale, yes I did get a touchscreen to work, in Windows 95 running DOS protected Mode. My mouse has DOS and Windows drivers, and so under DOS protected mode you do have the mouse functioning. OK, it serves no real purpose as all you see is the ugly square of a DOS Mouse :lol: . The touchscreen has been used to highlight in some menus where you would use the arrow keys, but you still have to use the keyboard. The Touchsreen is a Microtec or something like that, and it has it's drivers.
It doesn't function as a 'real' touchscreen, but it does add a bit of functionnality. The mouse, well it is absolutely useless! :lol: :lol:

Anyways, we are happy with the results. :D Keep up the good work Dale!

Windows 95 Version: OSR2-B (with USB support)
Mouse drivers: Logitech Optical wheel mouse drivers for DOS and 95
Adam C. Ward
Valleyfield, Quebec, Canada

GAWG
Forum Regular

Post by GAWG » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:17 pm

If you'd like, please post what components you are using (printer etc) in the Post your hardware thread

Thx

sfrk001
Forum Regular

Post by sfrk001 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:25 pm

My Idea would work for many people who want to use a touchsceen :) THe program is built right into WIndows :)

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:20 am

The on-screen in Windows XP while is compatible with DHPOS, requires POS to be run in a window and for me - the keyboard is quite small for my fat fingers (if I had a touch screen) and it is just as cumbersome to use with the mouse.

I don't know why anyone would choose the on-screen keyboard and a small DHPOS window over a full-screen POS window and just using a normal keyboard.

They both do the same thing, just one is onscreen and annoyed me when I tried it out :|

Here's an image for those who want to know what it looks like (sfrk001's touch screen suggestion).

DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

sfrk001
Forum Regular

Post by sfrk001 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:04 pm

Id use On screen keyboard because it doenst matter if POS is full screen or not because the touch-screen is facing you :) the customer wont see Windows. And you can change the size of the Keys on the on screen keyboard.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:39 am

You can change the size of the font, not the keys.

sfrk001 - my point about the full screen thing is I hate windowed DOS apps - they don't look right for me, and as I have eyesight difficulties - I prefer full-screen.

I know the font can be changed in the DOS window but it is still much easier to read in full screen. Besides, I really cannot see the reason why using the onscreen keyboard is any better than an ordinary keyboard.

sfrk001
Forum Regular

Post by sfrk001 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:29 pm

Some places like restaurants have limited space and have no room for a seperate keyboard, so this is a good idea for those restaurants :)

AndrewBunn: This might be off topic but what does your store bits and bytes sell ? :)

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:47 pm

Bits & Bytes is a fictional store of mine.